HID light conversion?

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all I'd just like to say that this is one AWESOME forum (especially for a diesel newbie)!! I'm the last one in my family to own a diesel (parents-brother-sister-all own diesels) and have finally been converted! Unfortunately, I decided to get one AFTER they started tightening the emissions noose. I've only been an SDD forum member for a few days, but I've gained a WEALTH of knowledge just reading about experiences and advice from other people. Ok, I guess it's time to get on with the real question (I think they're starting to play that uncomfortable "get off the stage" music now).

I recently replaced my stock head light bulbs with some Sylvania Silver Stars. They are an improvement over stock, but I would like something a little whiter and brighter. Just wanted to know if anyone here has had any experience with HID kits? Any advice on legal issues? Suggested manufacturers? Do's & don'ts? Thought I might pick the forum's brains before blowing $300-400 for nothing. Thanks!

irish4x4

Mayor of Margaritaville
Reaction score
The difference is astounding. If your kit is vehicle specific (i.e. factory style connectors) the install takes about 30 min. As for legal issues I talked with one of my neighbors, who is a Reno Motorcycle cop, about the issue. He said that aslong as they are aimed correctly and they dont recieve calls about "this one lifted silver Ford blinds me every morning!", then they are not worried about it.
I parked behind my wifes car out in the street at night and aimed them down until I wasnt blistering the backs of her headrests.
Im considering getting two more kits for the four 8" Offroad lights on the front of my truck as well.

type in "HID Kit" on google. Reputable dealers will answer any/all questions about applications for specific vehicles too.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I love mine, have had no issues with them at all. I got nervous a couple of times pulling up behind a cop at night and blinding them at a stop light, but they've never said a word to me.

I do get people flashing there Hi's at me frequently at night, since my lights are so bright, and I'm sure being in a 8" lifted trucks just makes it worse.

Diesel

Cetane Addict
Reaction score
I have purchased several sets from HIDKING on ebay. The last set I purchased were for the 250. Bi Zenon's,6000K set up for the 05-07 headlights run $150.00. He even added an adapter harness to plug into the 99-04 plug.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I have purchased several sets from HIDKING on ebay. The last set I purchased were for the 250. Bi Zenon's,6000K set up for the 05-07 headlights run $150.00. He even added an adapter harness to plug into the 99-04 plug.

I second Diesel I purchesd mine from ebay for $125 shipped. They make a hugh difference.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and ordered a set of HID Bi-xenons (high/low beams) from HIDKING on ebay (Thanks Diesel for the recommendation). They should be in sometime next week. I'll try and post some before/after pics when I get 'em installed. Thanks again guys for your help!

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I FINALLY got the lights installed! Had a few mix-ups with getting the correct harness for my truck, but it was worth the wait (turns out the '08 trucks need a DIGITAL harness).

The next problem I had was finding room to mount everything under the hood. That brings me to the only complaint I have with this truck (...so far :watchout ) - there's absolutely NO room in the engine bay!

I was able to mount the ballasts and ignitors behind the headlight assemblies, then run the wiring along the top of the radiator. The actual wiring installation was really simple after finding a place to put it - just plug-n-play!

These lights are AAAWESOME!! Why they don't install these in all cars (or at least make it an option), I'll never understand. The light pattern is twice that of my stocks, they're ten times brighter and the whiter light really helps you see things clearer at night. My wife accused me of being an overgrown kid with my toys, but after she saw the finished product, she wants a set for HER car! :sweet

Here are a few pics of the install. The last pic is a little blurry, but it really shows the blue-ish tint of the lights (6000K bulbs).

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Those look really nice!

I'm sure you'll love them, I know I'd never want to be without mine after having them.

Congrats!!

Coastal6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I install 2-3 kits a week on every kind of car imaginable. Trucks are definetly becoming the norm.The only advice i can offer is buy from a local shop that will at least give you some kind of warranty. We are talking about electronics that can go bad at the drop of a hat. The common problems i see are mostly with the hid ballats going bad or igniters. Now with most kits they are built in together. Make sure to get a good kit that has an external relay setup that draws power from the battery. The factory ford wiring is so thin on the headlight harnesses, so they won't support the initial startup of the igniters. W/ a poorly installed kit you will see one headlight come on b/4 the other, or it will flicker then come on, usually on the pass. side. And the key to avoid the cops is to get the right color temp. You will see kits ranging from 5k -12k, go with the 6k if you can find it. I've had 12k then 10k then 6k. The latter being the brightest and the whitest. If you buy 8k they will just look every honda w/ hyper white bulbs, except alot brighter, attracts alot of attention. Sometimes the wrong kind. 12k looks purple like BMWs, very cool, but out of place on a truck. But its all about personal preference. Oh and if you install them yourself, don't touch the glass on the bulbs. If you do, make sure to clean them with alcohol. Hope my advice helps and isn't too late.

rondog

oil burner
Reaction score
My son got rid of his '95 and put his HIDs on my '97. I really like them. But I don't have high beams now. He said that's just how they are. Is this true? I don't know that I would ever need them again with the HID's being so bright, but I wonder if there is a law about having high beams that a cop could mess with if he wanted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg