HID lights installed upside down?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, finally got my Christmas present installed (HIDfoglights.com) ...a set of bi-xenon HIDs. I have been pestering y'all for answers to my installation fun...but today in the 80+ beautiful (MARCH??? :eek: ) weather, I got 'em installed....Hooray.:thumbs :thumbs

But...when I flip high beams on (these are hi/low xenon with an electromagnet that shifts something on the bulb) the focal points for the headlamps shift DOWN...:cussing: :roflmao

I have installed the bulbs (it was a chore, both batteries out, one headlamp out) with a funky white insulator that is parallel the bulb oriented to 6 o'clock. I don't think I can turn it 180 degrees, because of the 3 notches on the bulb base.

anyhoo...sorry for the long post but if anybody has an idea, I'd like to get this done before next Christmas. :doh:

Oh, tomorrow I get my new tires!!! And my new in-cab cellular repeater is wired in and really boosts the cell signal...40dB! full bars where there were only a couple at most. :thumbs

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would shoot the guys at hidfoglight a email or call. I have some HID driving lights that I got from them that I have been testing out on the haul road and they have been very responsive when I asked them questions.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did and am awaiting...Mostly just felt like pestering you Crumm! Thanks.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the bulb reflecting its light down to the bottom portion of the
headlight reflector...aiming the beam UP ?

Most dont realize that headlights work counter-intuative...the reflecto off
the TOP portion of the polished mirror/reflector aiming the light down (for
low beam) and doing the exact opp. for high beam

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I did and am awaiting...Mostly just felt like pestering you Crumm! Thanks.

No way can you pester me, I have a off button on my puter :roflmao

is the bulb reflecting its light down to the bottom portion of the
headlight reflector...aiming the beam UP ?

It is my understanding that when the electromagnet in the bulb is energized the bulb moves in and out rather than up and down. Someone on the site was goofing around with one the other day.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok crumm...

but the "reflection" into the TOP or the BOTTOM of the
headlight reflector would be the same...

for high beam, light bounces off the bottom of the headlight reflector
(concentrating the beam UP)

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok crumm...

but the "reflection" into the TOP or the BOTTOM of the
headlight reflector would be the same...

for high beam, light bounces off the bottom of the headlight reflector
(concentrating the beam UP)

Bush, I believe your optical analysis is correcto. But I have not a clue as to how to check (try looking into that HID light at night, you'll not be reading your computer screen for a few hours!!!). Anyhow, the symptom is that the aim point on the road goes the wrong way. And my only thought is I need to rotate the bulb 180...but I don't know how it works other than what Crum says. Maybe I can switch leads to a relay connection, we'll see.

To HIDfoglights.com credit they have been trying to reach me today but I was never able to contact them. I'll update when I learn more. Driving home tonight from an awards banquet and it didn't matter high or low beam, the road was lit! :thumbs Nobody flashes me when set to high beam but they do at low beam.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update- Ed at HID says he believes I must have the bulbs pushed in wrong. I asked him to confirm so I wouldn't have to donate more skin to the gods of tight spaces and he promised to call a customer and tell me if the white insulated wire that is parallel to the bulb is at 6 oclock or 12 oclock. He thinks it should be 12 but that was after I told him I used 6.

When I put 'em in it was kind of difficult and I worried about breaking a tab in the headlamp assy...so when I got the first in I didn't think it would be possible to do it "upside down" . . .

If anyone has these 'bi-xenon" bulbs, would you mind looking to see where the white wire is oriented?

Wow, they are sure bright and light up the critters' eyes on the roadside!!!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it would certainly make sense (based on what i know of the
reflectors)...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58