High altenator output?

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
So as continue to troubleshoot my miss(updated info in that thread), I noticed my dome lights were pulsating. I checked output voltage and it is fluctuating between 14.4 and 14.8 volts at idle. Disconnected each battery and they both check out at 12.4V. If I turn on the parking lights and head lights voltage will drop to 13.6V at idle. Running down the road voltage is 14.2-14.5V. Is my voltage regulator going or gone? (Yes, I know it is internal to the alt. and Napa will not sell me just the regulator.) Or is it the altenator itself? Or am I just becoming paranoid that everything is wrong and there is really no problem at all?

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Voltage

That's right where it should be, your alright. The dome light pulsating is probably unrelated.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
When the voltage drops to less than 14.2V the pulsating stops.

because your alternator full fields, most likely..
you got bigger things to worry about, but yes, it is fluctuations in your system voltage.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Had the alternator tested Tuesday night and it checked out fine. Battery light came on today above 1200rpm. It went out at idle. Voltage fluctuated between 11.8 and 12V. Got on the interstate and after about a mile or two at 2000 rpm light went off and voltage was 14-14.5V. WTF?

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Napa tested the alternator and it was bad. Replaced alternator. No more voltage fluctuations. Still need to find the cause of my miss.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg