High EGT's after WW

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed higher egt's after doing a wicked wheel? My egt's are up about 200*since I did it. I didn't notice it until I pulled my big trailer Thursday and Friday. I know I wasn't able to get the wastegate actuator back to were it was before I messed with it. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the back of the turbo and the up pipe donuts for any black soot..then check all boot clamps, Y pipe to turbo and compressor housing making sure everything is tight and not leaking boost...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed higher egt's after doing a wicked wheel? My egt's are up about 200*since I did it. I didn't notice it until I pulled my big trailer Thursday and Friday. I know I wasn't able to get the wastegate actuator back to were it was before I messed with it. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Did you remove the entire turbo for the WW install? Or just the compressor cover?

If you are having trouble getting the waste gate actuator rod re-installed, try some low pressure air to the fitting on the actuator. That'll extend the rod and help to get it back on the waste gate arm.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just removed the compressor cover. I got the rod re-installed but I had to lengthen it by adjusting the end. I tried using air from the compressor but it still wouldn't extend far enough to get it to reattach so I adjusted it and I'm about a 1/4" from being back where it should be.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It sure sounds to me like something with the waste gate/actuator. But you'd think if the compressor side cover was removed and just reinstalled, the actuator rod would reattach without adjustment.

Did you remove the cover with the WG actuator attached or remove and reinstall it later?

What is the boost gauge showing, worse, same, better?

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest I didn't pay any attention to the boost gauge I was more concentrated on the high egt's and trans temp. I ended up removing the actuator separately and installed it later. I think I'm going to take it all apart again and retry attaching it.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
.....I ended up removing the actuator separately and installed it later.....

Double check everything, making sure any washers are in the same place as when you took it apart.

Another thought, How did you jamb the turbo shaft to break the old compressor wheel loose? Is there any possiblity the turbine side is messed up a bit? Is everything spinning freely?

Grasping for straws here.:dunno

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything spins freely. I'm going to try and take it apart today and then reinstall everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58