High engine oil temp and coolant temps

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have tried searching and searching and can't quite come up with the answer. Here is what is going on. I have a 2006 F250 with the 6.0l diesel. I have just over 101K on it. I have an edge tuner that I have had on the truck since 20K. Lately I have seen both my coolant temp and my engine oil temp raise to 212 degrees. This is unloaded with 70 degree ambient air temperature. Normally the truck would run around 185. I don't believe it to be an oil cooler problem because I don't have the greater than 15 degree separation between my ECT and my EOT. I did a coolant flush on the system because I was over 100k and the strips were failing at less than 200PPM. After the flush I noticed I had coolant all over my front differential, cross members, etc. I verified all connections were tight. After doing some more research I decided to swap the water pump and the thermostat. I don't have any more leaks but the temps are still rising. I took the truck over to a buddy's house and ran a coolant pressure test, the test passed fine. I guess what I am wondering is it the head gaskets? I have heard you can run a engine block tester to check for exhaust gases in the coolant. Has anyone tried this on a diesel? I guess the only other thing I can do is buy a gauge for the coolant pressure and check it that way.

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
additional information

I wanted to add my clutch fan is coming on when my temperature hits 210 EOT and 208 ECT.

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fordoor, my boost numbers are 20-22 under hard acceleration. 5 psi driving around at 65 mph with cruise control set. There is no lack of power. If anything it seems the truck has more power. I tried disconnecting the EGR today to see if this would help. I figured seeing as it lowers overall EGT numbers maybe it would help with the temperatures. Initially it appeared that the disconnect was helping. After about 4 hours worth of driving with 80 degree temperatures, the temps came back up to 210 degrees. I tried picking up the engine block tester today but NAPA was closed. I am headed to Charleston, SC in the morning. Wish me luck.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
210 is not bad and oil should be temp wize be close to the coolent temp. IS the coolent fan is working? Check and see if there's crap on the front of the rad.

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fan is working. It comes on when temp is 210 on coolant temp and 208 with oil temp. I know 210 isn't as bad as it could get. I have owned the truck since new. Normally around town without pulling a load I would run about 185. I have only heard the fan kick on in the past when pulling 10,000 lbs on a 100 degree day. I have checked the front of the radiator for foreign debris and nothing is there. I did go ahead and spray it down with water just because. I have already performed a coolant flush, replaced thermostat, and water pump. I even swapped edge tuners with my buddy during testing to see if the tuner was causing it. I read the same values between both tuners. I would think oil cooler, except my coolant temp is staying right with my oil temp. There is not the 15 degree separation that everyone talks about when a cooler goes. So right now I am down to the radiator, ECT sensor, or head gaskets. Oh by the way I run Amsoil 15W40 in my truck. The current oil has about 6,000 miles on it. Filter changed less than 500 miles ago. Sorry about the long posts, just trying to get as much information out there as possible.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just keep an eye on the coolent level should be in the two marks on the degas bottle. If you end up with white crap around the degas bottle top then you may have a bigger problem.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dogman sez and....

With no loss, or contamination of fluids.. Was the coolant clean ( clear, no grit) when you drained it, to change out the waterpump and T-stat ??

Last edited:

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Do you have a coolant bypass filter? I remember a past thread talking about blocked port or line on the side of the degaus bottle (deaeration port?)that connects to the egr cooler. This can cause overheat and damage to the cooler. The tester kit you're getting should let you know if it's the H.G.'s. Usually everyone experiences coolant loss and crusties when the H.G.'s are failing. Also, as you know; passing the coolant pressure test doesn't always mean the FLOW is normal. How can we check the flow? Do they have a flow meter? You would have to know the flow when it's new to have a comparison I guess. Anyway, I hope it's not your H.G.'s. But if it is, now you can put studs in.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
22lbs is the lowest number ford wants to see when they do a test for boost. Just had mine done at dealer and it was 26 and I thought that was low. 20-22 seems low

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58