high idle

Batcycle

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 F350 4x4 with an auto trans. How do I set up one of my upfitter switches to raise the idle of the truck. I've looked at previous posts and I see guys mentioning a pto high idle and a battery charge high idle. What's the difference?

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PTO High Idle will lock the torque converter and spin the engine at 1200 RPM (adjustable with rheostat if you want). Battery Charge Protect starts off at 1200 RPM and ramps up if there's a low voltage situation, either to low batteries or if you are boosting something. I have both wired up, but can't ever remember the wire colors.

I run the PTO to warm up the truck in cold weather. I use the BCP allot when boosting, etc. It really ramps up to match the load. I have a voltmeter mounted on my pillar so I can really see what's going on. I've boosted plenty of other pickups, tractors, trucks, irrigation motors, you name it, it really puts the power to it. It will spin over 2000 RPM if needed, I believe it goes up to 2400, but never seen it that high.

Batcycle

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bolt. Do you know where I could get the wiring diagrams to do these two modifications? And with the PTO high idle setup, does the rheostat allow you to go faster than 1200 RPM or slower? I guess I'm looking for something to ramp up the idle when it's cold out and I need to idle for a while, but I also like the BCP option that you describe. I already said that I was adding both a voltmeter and an ammeter. Don't know why Ford didn't put one in but I guess it would be useless like their other guages with only lines and no numbers.

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
I thought that is what I did (BCP) but evidently I might of picked the wrong wire because all ive ever seen was 1200.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14