high idle

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 02 f250 superduty 7.3, it will go into high idle but when I pull away it stays in high idle unless I hit the accelerator and when I let up it goes back into high idle, and seems to do this until it gets to operating temp. Any idea what it could be?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The idea is to get it to operating temperature quicker. Hitting the accelerator will bring it back to normal idle. You had it all figured out.:)

Dave :)

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok. cool, but its never done that before and i've had the truck almost a year. also have a delete pipe so no muffler. and at high idle its noticeable. :) so your sayin this is normal?:confused:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of those times where it would be very helpful to have a scanner capable of looking at each sensor and what the PCM is seeing. The reality is that it is summer and it's hot, discovering high idle is often a winter phenomenon, as a result my distance mechanical diagnosis is that you have some sort of sensor going bad. This could range from the throttle pedal assembly and the integrated idle validation switch, to the intake air temp sensor.

In some cases you can simply unplug the sensor and see if it changes the problem, because the PCM will use default values.

zudnik

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention air intake sensor, the plug on mine has been messed up since I bought the truck. The old sensors tabs are broke off in the plug and have been meaning to fix it,will give that a try first. Thanx for the help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14