High pitch rattle at interstate speeds

03bighossf250

Da Man
Reaction score
So I just bought an 03 Excursion 6.0 and noticed a high pitch rattle while driving down the interstate. If your giving it gas its good no rattle if you let out of the gas or are at a steady speed it rattles like crazy. I only notice it from about 40mph and up at around 68 it is ridicous its driving me crazy please help I just want to fix it or get rid of it.

03bighossf250

Da Man
Reaction score
Please Help.....

I checked the drive shafts replaced the u joints and pulled out the front and the noise is still there. It sounds like an exhaust rattle. But I've followed it all the way from turbo back and its not touching anything. I read some where that it might be the VGT being stuck open. But i'm not sure. It has head studs and EGR delete already done. I'm just confused and dont really have time to keep testing ideas. I spent 4 days under the truck so far and i'm about ready to sell this thing.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still think'n Exhaust system.... becuase it goes away when you give it some throttle (not gas;)). Torque related.

Check the downpipe.. where it passes by that pinch-weld on the firewall.. and also the pipe itself.. where it passes under/near the heat shields. Look for shiney spots.

Let us know ?

Joe

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My exhaust is touching a bolt on the back side of the engine....about 6" down from the turbo. I was thinking exhaust too untill I thought about it being torque related.

All the wheels tight???

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
i know on the rear brakes the little guards on the calipers will rattle and be pretty annoying

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
does it do the sound at a stand still,in park. when you rev it up than let off.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58