High Pitch squeeling and now sputtering....

highdefdiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey ... New to this forum and just bought my first PSD .... i have owned the truck for a week and having problems already. Seeing if anyone could help me out at all...
Just bought an 08' F250 CC .. FX4 .. 192,000 miles.
When I bought the truck the dealer said that it had a small exhaust leak on flex pipe... No biggie.
But This weekend I washed the truck and after letting the truck sit for a bit I started the truck and instantly a high pitch squeal that can be heard anywhere within a block of the truck. took it to a couple small town truck shops and first place said blown Turbo... didnt like the diagnosis and went to the second.. he said its either a belt or tensioner... fine and dandy .. limped the truck back 125 miles to my house and just before i got there i stepped on it to pass a car... squealing wasnt as bad but now i can smell diesel and the truck is sputtering ... anyone have any ideas? Not too fluent on Diesels just yet and dont want to spend $1500-2K right off the bat .... Thanks!

JRJ04

Reaction score
id agree that it sounds more belt related. is it possible you got the belt wet when washing it? pop the hood and see if you can confirm that its the belt. maybe something is frozen up. How do the gauges on the instrument cluster look? engine temp, battery charge? all that look ok?

highdefdiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is a good possibility... I will check that in the morning ... i would have thought driving it for 2.5 hrs that it woulda thought that it would have unsiezed if frozen up... but all the guages look good... temp,battery,boost. I put belt dressing on the belt and seemed to be ok for a few minutes but then right back to squealing... really gets loud when I step on the go peddle as well... even at idle it squeals .. thats why i didnt believe it was the turbo on account of no boost. A buddy of mine just said the diesel smell and sputtering could be an injector.. could that be possible?

bob68vw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now if it is a hole in the mesh, you will smell diesel exhaust. We had a truck at work that had a hole in the mesh in the y pipe and it smelled outside and in the cab.

highdefdiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hmmm Yeah While they are fixing the squealing problem I am going to have them check that as well ... I appreciate it ... Do you think that they would have to replace the Flex pipe or is there a way to patch that up?

bob68vw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read on here people welding a piece of metal over the whole mesh piece. At work we just replaced the whole pipe, it was like $150.00 for the piece. When I had mine oout doing the egr delete, I looked at it and was going to weld it but figured it might need to flex.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
192,000mi!!! They must have drove the hell out of it...:eek:

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sayin that its alot of seat time in two years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58