Higher EGTs

thomas5853

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just changed my oil & filter plus the fuel filters a couple of weeks ago. I used 5w-40 Rotella oil and put in 8 oz of prolong. I have been noticing EGTs about 20-40 degrees higher then normal when driving. Plus it is taking longer to reach my cooldown temp before shutting down the engine. Any ideas?

2003 F250 Lariat CC 4x2 6.0L
4" turbo back Flo-Pro Exhaust
Edge Insight w/EGT
SCT X3 w/Innovative custom tunes

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Did you add anything to the fuel? If you did (prolong) that may cause hotter burning in the cylinders. What temperatures are you seeing and under what conditions?

Dave

thomas5853

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been adding tcw-3 2 stroke oil & diesel kleen every fill up. When going 70 mph I used to get temps around 600 but now I get around 650. When climbing a hill I get about 900 when I used to get that, I was going a lot faster.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
1200 degrees is the melting point of pistons, I am sure you know, so 50 degrees higher at cruse will not hurt anything. Just watch the EGT guage when climbing hills.

Dave

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Also don't forget that exhaust temps can be directly affected by outside ambient air temps, hot air going in will naturally be hotter going out. It's getting to be that time of year were it's starting to warm up, in the winter we get used to everything running cooler. But when it warms up outside, all our temps begin to climb. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong though!

JRJ04

Reaction score
well i would not add the tcw3 and the diesel kleen together. It actually ends up being too strong of a concentration. Stick with the tcw3 oil and occasionally run the diesel kleen through there separate from the tcw3.

I will say that I do notice higher egts as well when running the diesel kleen. you are just getting a hotter more efficient burn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58