Hissing Sound From Manual Transmission

diesel4camping

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Recently, I have started to notice a hissing sound, similar to the sound you hear when metal rubs metal such as the rotors when pads are wearing out.

The only time you can hear this is during cruising speeds of about 55 mph or less and only in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. The sound goes away when under acceleration. The sound can be heard through the shift boot.
:dunno

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
how long have you owned the truck (new to you?) and has it just started since it turned cold? i'd suspect maybe just normal waste gate noise.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
X2 on ebpv. mine will come back on when cruising and idling, but go away when accelerating.

Last edited:

diesel4camping

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have noticed it since it has gotten cold. I have only owned it since late April this year. So the only time I have really driven it has been during the warmer months.

I appreciate the help.

Last edited:

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna say it's the EBPV...

It's normal, the PCM closes the EBPV (Exhaust BackPressure Valve) to aid in warming the truck up. The EBPV is located just after the turbo, it's what the downpipe is connected to. Some folks remove the butterfly valve to prevent this behavior (and gain more airflow out the exhaust). Others make it into a exhaust brake. If you want to disable it, there is an electrical connection on the drivers side of the turbo that has two wires running to it. You can unplug that, it shouldn't set any codes or anything.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58