Home made exhaust brake

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever considered or seen an exhaust brake home made. I'm not talking about the ebpv mod. It looks like a round 4" (or however big) valve with 2 1"-1.5" holes drilled though it..actauted through a shaft by a solenoid. And they want $1,100 for one:eek: I look at that and can't comprehend how they justify that amount for that piece of equipment. Supply and demand I know.... but dang.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make one and sell it. You will make million$.

Dave

Hahaha Dave. I'm not even talking about doing it for marketing. Just for myself. I know that if I do it there will be a bunch of old folks :)rolleyes:) out there saying "oh he just a nobody that doesn't know what he's talking about". And for some part they are right. I dont know that much about the physics about how that works..I've never held or examined an exhaust brake in person....thats why I am asking on here. Isn't that what most ppl on here are doing, asking questions about things they don't know about and hoping that someone comes forward with a serious/sincere answer???:dunno

I do have experience with designing and operating equipment that operates off solenoids, plc's, solenoids, photo-cells, stepper motors, and a bunch of other junk. Of course if I did make one it would not be as "pretty", but its not exactly the most obvious part of the truck. How many times have you seen a truck going down the road and heard someone say "well would ya look at that exhaust brake. aint it shiny"

StrokinItAllDay

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
first one looks like just an air actuated butterfly valve. has a spring for the return where you can adjust the tension as to how fast or slow you want it to come back. couldn't be much more difficult than just setting up a switch :)

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first one looks like just an air actuated butterfly valve. has a spring for the return where you can adjust the tension as to how fast or slow you want it to come back. couldn't be much more difficult than just setting up a switch :)

My thoughts exactly...I was surprised to find nothing else about this anywhere online. My dad has tons of neumatic cylinders with return springs in them, a machine mill, band saw, and a lathe. WHAT ELSE WOULD I NEED. My dad his own r&d work on his machines and has a LOT of steel and alumium blocks and rods. But my dad lives about 9hrs away :( So that 5,000 sq/ft of heaven isn't easily accesible. But I have my mind set on doing this whenever I get the chance. Then when (if) I get it built, I'll post it up so everyone else can have a design to go by. Its hard times and there no reason to be jacking up prices like that "just because". I'm for everyone making money and I'm sure banks is not about to go bankrupt.

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
Has anyone ever considered or seen an exhaust brake home made. I'm not talking about the ebpv mod. It looks like a round 4" (or however big) valve with 2 1"-1.5" holes drilled though it..actauted through a shaft by a solenoid. And they want $1,100 for one:eek: I look at that and can't comprehend how they justify that amount for that piece of equipment. Supply and demand I know.... but dang.

Your post attracted my attention, but I want to ask you: Why dont you only make the EBPV mod?. I want to know what are your thougths in pros and contrs, doing that cheap mod?. :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14