Help Needed Hood won't pop....can't get it open!!

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
My hood won't pop...cable does not sound broken..how do I get it to go? Push down on it, up on it, tried jerking the handle, etc.
Anyone know an easy way to get it up?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If the hood latch does not click open, the cable is broken. Getting it open will require the services of a body shop or Ford Dealer. NO easy cure or fix.

Dave

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a chevy one time, I cut the housing, I used wire strippers. I reached up fromunderneath in front of the grill behind the bumper. I cut the housing in half. I then grabbed the back of the housing and moved it enought til i got the wire. I pulled the wire and the hood popped up. That will work as long as it broke before the latch on the hood itseld. a lot they brake under the dash. If you cut all the way thu the housing and cable you have nothing to pull. You then need to strip th housing off to expose cable. Grab it with pliers and pull.

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
Turns out the cable did not break..I was driving to work this morning and the hood popped up on its own. Scared the crap out of me at first (doing 70 on the interstate) but all was well. Put some grease on the latch and such and all is good now. I have no idea why it decided to come up finally.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
something the lube monkeys have forgotten over the years... lube the hood latch & door hinges..

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the same issue on my 1994 Yukon. Before you lubricate , clean it. Often, the grease buildup will cause the latch to stick. Spray it with some kind of solvent (diesel in an oil squirt can or WD-40 like I used) Get inside the mechanism like with the swizzle stick attachment and get the hinge pin/bolt on the latch. Actually oil works better than grease on thiese parts. How do I know...:innocent
The worst part of this is getting the D^%$ thing open and now you've already got the hard part done!

OBTW. Now I ALWAYS open the hood BEFORE I drain the oil!

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I'm a WD-40 fan.. but 3in1 oil works good on these Hardta git to hinges, latches and stuff too.. a Drop at a time, verses a Spray ??

3in1 makes a dispenser with a long, flexible straw thingy.... werks good too.

Joe

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I'm a WD-40 fan.. but 3in1 oil works good on these Hardta git to hinges, latches and stuff too.. a Drop at a time, verses a Spray ??

3in1 makes a dispenser with a long, flexible straw thingy.... werks good too.

Joe
I agree...whatever will dissolve the gunk. more often its the hardened grease rather then the rust that hangs these latches up. That's why I stopped using grease and went to oil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58