Hope it gets better than this!

Broondog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys -
I searched up this forum hoping to find some good news on the truck i just bought. Didn't find what I was looking for yet. I got a 2010 F450 (C&C) for working not pimping! I put a landscaper dump bed on it and have been all smiles with the ride, the quiet and the power. But good grief! I have about worked myself into a stress attack about the mileage! Is it true that I can expect to get 9MPG at best?? It seems like a lot of you like to modify your trucks like I do my Harley, but I do not think I am interested in voiding my warranty as this is the first time I have ever had one and is why I bought a new truck for the first time! Anyway, this stupid display is freaking me out when I see 5.8 or 7.2 miles per gallon. The truck is a supercab - not crew cab- four wheel drive XLT 186" wheelbase. With the bed empty it weighs almost 11,000 pounds. I put 4 tons of rock in it today and went across the scales at 19,260 lbs. Now i know that it is rated at 16,500 but I felt like i had enough power to spare that I could pull a trailer with a Bobcat on it at the same time. Anyway the display computer was reeading 9.4 MPG going down the road which is about 2.0MPG better than when I am running around mostly empty! So is the bottom line really that this thing is really that thirsty and will not improve after break in? Currently has less than 400 miles on it. by the way - I think I am going to hate that 'Drive to clean exhaust filter" thing. Not really sure what the heck is up with that. Does that mean drive it hard like a rental until the notice goes away or just keep driving past your destination and turn around when the the happy little lights go away?? Hope I don't live to regret this purchase. I have had all Ford work trucks for 30 years and they have all been worked to death and put to rest like an old friend.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
weeeelllllllll.....
the 6.4 isn't known for being stingy on fuel..
BUT
I think you're overloading it and that's not helping matters...
at all

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a break in time always hurts when buying new. I'd turn off the trip computer and figer mileage by hand and see what comes up. What gear is in it? Most likely something bigger then a 4.10 gear.

Broondog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I admit I did overload it with the load of rocks but the point i was trying to make there is this so called lie-o-meter registered the highest numbers ever while driving with that big of a load. It does have the 4.3 differentials and the automatic. I am hoping there is a break in period and that after that period it gets better! I took three months to find that combination of options and when it was found it was in Tennessee and I had to ship it here to Washington. So it was with great anticipation that I finally got to start driving it after the hunt, the wait on shipping and the upfitting process. My tired old '96 F350 with the 7.3 and manual was getting 12ish and I would welcome that back and never complain again!

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 4.30 gears you'll see some improvement over time but not a lot. I would not run the roads doing 70 with it, mileage will be in the crapper. I know that 2100 to 2200 rpm's is the sweet spot for the 6.0 motors on the 6.4 I dont know. Something your going to have to play with.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Broondog, I feel your pain. I had the same reaction right after I bought mine. I was getting 12mpg with my F250 on a GOOD day, and to make matters worse- two months after I bought it- diesel went to $5 per gallon. Needless to say, I was making payments on a yard ornament for a few months.

The Good News: Your mileage WILL get better after the break-in period... How MUCH better depends on your foot and your loads. Try to baby it with some of these tips that helped me:
- don't let it idle- this will kill your mileage quicker than ANYTHING!
- don't drive over 60-65 TOPS!
- slow down and COAST to stops as much as possible
- take off from a stop like a grandma! (the other people may get mad, but they'll get over it- you're truck's too big for a honda to push around!)

The Bad News: You've bought yourself a BIG-A**, fuel-gulpin', rock-haulin' MONSTER that was made for workin', not sippin' fuel. I know it's a shock to your system (and wallet too), but doesn't look like it's gonna get any better in the future with Big Brother and the EPA breathing down our necks.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got about 33K miles on mine now and I can squeeze 17-18 mpg out of her (bone stock- no programmers, intakes, etc). Of course, I just haul a camping trailer every now and then - NOTHING compared to what you're doing. Hang in there, and don't be a stranger!
:sweet

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 9.7 with the 08 f450 at work, but it gets that unloaded or fully loaded and has 4.88's. Thats also a pretty serious truck u have so it wouldn't be great on fuel anyway. The new D-max's and Cummins aren't much better. Like people have told me, you want mpg's buy a civic

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage Update. Just went overage 14K and traveled from Talledega to Alexandria VA, cruise set at 72 MPH...........19.2 MPG of Diesel!

Think I'll hook up the 5th Wheel and do a test tomorrow.

Broondog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys! Thanks for your input and your thoughts. I have not been able to log back on to this site for weeks - keep getting re -routed. I was about to give up but somehow here I am today finally. I do appreciate your responses and have somewhat come to terms with the horrible mileage. Guess you can't gain horsepower without giving up something. I celebrated when I got ONE full mile better on the last tank! How funny is that? Actually averaged 8.8 MPG. WOW. Other than the mileage issue I am thoroughly enjoying this thing. I have only had the "Drive to clean filter" light come on once so guess that is good. Anybody estimate the so called break in period for me? Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58