Horn decided to go off at 4 in the morning!!!!!

GGJPGUY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This morning while I was getting ready to head out for work at 4 this morning, my horn decided to go off! Not the panic horn and flashers, but as if someone was holding their hand on it. Tried starting, and activating the panic, and locking/un-locking doors with no luck. Just popped the hood and disconnected the batteries. We did have a little rain last night but its been in worse rain storms than that without any issues. Will trouble shoot tonight when I get off work. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Horns usually are grounded by the horn button. That is the horn terminal has +12v all of the time and the - terminal is activated by pushing on the horn button. Simple. You seem to have an alarm as you mentioned the panic horn (fast). I would make sure all of the connections to the alarm are good, if you can find the alarm module. Mine is behind the radio and it is a pain to get to. Good Luck! ;tu

Dave :)

GGJPGUY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The alarm is just the panic button on the key fob. But since you mentioned that it takes a ground to activate the horn, it appears that my ground line has actually become grounded, so Ill start there. Thanks for the info!

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me and soon discovered water leak into the cab when it would rain. Check to see if you are getting any water inside the cab. Usually gets in the fuse box and all kinds of weird things happen.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes!!! It drove me NUTS for a while. the horn starts honking when raining. I took out the fusebox, GEM, did a careful inspection - both were very damp. I dried everthing out and reinstalled. I was determined to keep the the above from happening again - keep rain water away from the fusebox and GEM. Due to the tight space under the dash, I couldn't wrap any waterproof tape around the cable harnesses. I used electrical duct seal and applied in layers to provide moisture resistance. It looks like crap, but once you assemble the dash, you don't see it. Also if you need to access the wiring in the future, remove the duct seal to gain access.

Also I resealed the windshield molding w/ black auto rtv.

Butch Cassidy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58