Hot oil & Antifreeze smell out of vents

jeremy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
'04 crew cab 6.0 with Edge Platinum Attitude with Juice. Oil temp runs 250, engine temp 190, trans temp 165 pulling a 2600 lb ski boat. Is all of these in the okay range? Why does the fan constantly go off and on when I'm pulling the boat? I run it with overdrive off in level 2 towing mode on the Edge. What's with the smell coming out of the the a/c vent? Smells like antifreeze but it's not blowing out of the reservoir cap. Can anybody help?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Temps look good. Oil maybe a little high, but you are towing. Fan goes on and off when needed and that is determined by the water temps, normal. Keep an eye on the coolant level. If it drops, you may have a blown head gasket. Can you smell coolant in the exhaust??

Dave

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
250 on your oil temp is way to high. I pull a 10,000 lb load with my 06 f250. Even when I was in alabama with 100 degree temperatures my oil temp only reached 230 degrees. Your fan is constantly kicking on because it is trying to get the truck cooled down. I would say your oil cooler is shot. Mine is in the shop right now because I had that same smell and had to put 4 gallons of coolant in over the course of a week. They are saying both my egr cooler as well as my oil cooler are probably shot.

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah taking a closer look at your engine coolant temp to oil temp your spread is way to far apart. Ford stated no more than 15 degrees separation between the two. I recommend you get that looked at asap.

jeremy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Could the oil sending unit be going out? To day on the way home i watched the read out on the edge display,oil temp 236 with no load.

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could it be your EGR coolant system? maybe a thermostat not opening correctly to allow the engine to get all the coolant, and sending the smell through the heater core??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58