Hours Question

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
nowadays, I seem to be runnin my 03 about 14 hours a day. About 1-2 hours is actual driving, and the rest is idling at fast idle via the PTO option. I got to wondering just how many hours a powerstroke can be run on fast idle before having to change the oil. Is there any data on this?

Figuring it at 60mph, that comes up to about 80 hours for 5K miles between oil changes. Being the oil is still subjected to a lot of stress because of the injectors, yet not too much from actual engine load, would changing the oil every 90-100 hours be too long? Can the oil go longer than that? ?

What do you guys think?

I am sending my next oil change to Blackstone. I sent them my previous oil change l a few days ago, but no analysis yet.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
so if your truck is running for 14 hours a day, and only 2 is actual driving, are you leavin it on hgih idle for 12 hours a day? :confused:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Farm equipment, which is fairly severe duty considering the temps and dusty conditions they operate in, is generally changed on a 100-150 hours of operation basis. Anywho, thats how we did it on all our diesel machinery.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
No equipment running. I just keep it running for heat. It gets nippy out here. And yes, it is Oil/Gas related. But i get to sit in the truck and point. ;)

I shall go 90 hours on this change, send this sample to blackstone, and see what thery say. I'll keep you all updated . Thanks a bunch.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats impressive! i couldnt imagine running it that long. i wonder what that would do to a 6.0? well or is it a 7.3? i imagine 100 hrs would be ok....

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
No equipment running. I just keep it running for heat. It gets nippy out here. And yes, it is Oil/Gas related. But i get to sit in the truck and point. ;)

I shall go 90 hours on this change, send this sample to blackstone, and see what thery say. I'll keep you all updated . Thanks a bunch.
I think the biggest thing you will want to look for is fuel in oil. If the blackstone comes back OK then I wouldnt worry about extended hours of operation at high idle.

Where are you working in the Rockies in the O/G industry?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14