How absolute is the 15 degree delta rule?

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've had the ScanGauge II installed for a couple of weeks now. It's great to actually have working gauges as opposed to the glorified idiot lights that are the factory gauges.

Here is my question. I am told that anything over a 15 degree difference between oil temperature and water temperature is bad juju. But I get up to a 30 degree difference depending upon terrain and loading. I had a 35 degree difference climbing the I-24 Monteagle 6 % grade Monday. Once I got back on the flats on the other side, the temperature difference went down, but only to a 20 degree difference.

I did have the cooling system flushed with a machine last year, and added a DieselSite coolant filter, but I am thinking I may have the beginnings of a clogged oil cooler. Would a run of RESTORE and RESTORE PLUS be a worthwhile first effort to possibly clean a silica clog in the oil cooler fins? Is this something so bad that I should not drive the truck?

Looking forward to your sage advice. ;)

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 15* delta is on flat ground, unloaded, at 60 mph. Since you are seeing higher deltas a new oil cooler should be on your to-do list. Flushing again will do nothing to unclog your oil cooler, but not a bad idea just before you install the new oil cooler. Some people see deltas of 40-50*, NOT good, but are still driving. If it were me, I would get a new cooler in there ASAP.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say but I think Majek hit the nail on the head. So just go ahead and
get the ole card out and get it taken care of.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58