how are hp and tq different,how do they works together?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im wondering what the diff is betwwen the two.i know that tq is is twisting force,so whats hp then.if tq is twisting force,why does my truck feel twice as powerful in the 2500-3k rpm range then it does between 1800-2100 which is its peak tq.higher rpms hp is generated,why does peak hp,fell twice as powerful then peak tq.shouldnt the truck be most capable in its tq peak?if this makes sense,can someone explain it to me?thanks in advance brian

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
One simple way of looking at it is....

In a drag race you can run the same elapsed time in the quarter mile but one run will have higher MPH through the traps. Which do you think was making more HP?

Torque gets it moving....HP keeps it moving.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so towing up a hill you want to get rpms up real high? say ima pulling 5k,and up over yonder,pertineer, theres a big hill to climb.would it be more likely to pull the hill better in 5th at 2000 rpms(peak tq) or drop in into 4th and put the rpms in the 2500- 2800 rpm range which is closer to peak hp.it seems to me like 4th with higher rpms it much more capable climbing and holding my speed then 5th would be.therefore how is tq helping you in that example?

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
97, if your towing up a hill, yes, you'll want to run 4th to get you up. Another thing to remember is that the more RPMs, the more boost, the more boost, the cooler your EGT, the cooler your EGTs, the more your truck will thank you. I'm sure you get the picture by now. If t were me, I'd run 4th to the top-'o-the hill. Like rooster said, all tourque does is get you movin'

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
torque is a force, but can be present without motion (think of you pulling on a TORQUE WRENCH)

HP is an energy rating, and is rating the amount of work being done (actually moving weight)

having high torque allows the engine to spin slower while making HP, versus a low torque engine (crotch rocket....) that needs to spin very fast to make the same power.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14