How are you disposing of old oil?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I just read the Fumoto valve thread and like the product. However I am now curious what y'all are doing with the waste oil when you change. I discovered Walmart will change my oil for me for the same cost as when I do it myself. I got sick and tired of trying to dispose of 15 quarts. Every time I went some store jerk would get pissy and say "we only allow 5 quarts at a time."

How do you get rid of it easily?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:

I have one of those 5 gal black oil containers with a spout and empty it in Kragen Auto Parts's oil recycle drum in the back of their store. They never complain about 5 gallons and don't even follow me to the back of their store with all of their stock. :dunno

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I just dig a hole in the backyard and dump it in :roflmao

Seriously though I put it in a 55 gallon drum and when the drum is full I take it to one of a dozen places around here that burn used oil in a waste oil heater. I remember the old days when on the ranch we dumped all our old waste oil on the road to control dust, ahh the good old days before the big environmental movement.

On a side note what do you think is more dangerous, the chance of a Fumoto coming open or the minimum wage employee at your local Wal-mart forgetting to tighten the plug?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
I just read the Fumoto valve thread and like the product. However I am now curious what y'all are doing with the waste oil when you change. I discovered Walmart will change my oil for me for the same cost as when I do it myself. I got sick and tired of trying to dispose of 15 quarts. Every time I went some store jerk would get pissy and say "we only allow 5 quarts at a time."

Typically I put it in my neighbors trash can on trash day. Otherwise I drop it off at the service station down the street. The only time they got pissy with me is when I dropped off four oil changes worth of oil at one time. Guess they didn't like getting 16 gallons of oil at one time. Oh well. They took it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Crumm, I don't think there is a chance in hell that the Fumoto valve will come open on your or my truck. We stand a better chance of ripping it off on some rock (have you looked how well protected the oil pan is?) someplace.

I have had mine since the first oil change. I take it to the dumps where they recycle it. I take it in a 5 gal container that fits under the truck.

Dave

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take mine to work and dump it in the 350-gal waste oil lug that routinely goes to the recycler's. Same with my old filters....they go in the maintenance dump bins.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16 quart oil pan with lid. Haul it into SUCKS since I drive by one on my way home from work. They usually let me go right to the back and dump it myself. Me, alone with all that inventory. They dont even blink.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
We have about five recycling centers around, 3 of them have oil. One is at the back of a fire station.

Peter call the city and ask if they have such a program.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
used oil

I take my used oil to the local Auto Zone. That is where I buy my oil. One time they asked if the oil was from one change. I showed them the receipt for a four gallon purchase and my truck and have had no problems since.

In College Station the city runs a recycling center behind the city fleet vehicle repair center, so other smaller towns may do something like that too.

fgtex

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14