How do you know if the Torque Converter is bad?

Duallydiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all:
I have a 2002 F350 Lariat, Auto with about 92,000 miles. I haul a camper (3800lbs) a snowmobile trailer about (4500lbs) when that isn't on a horse trailer about (5500-6000lbs).
So not real heavy loads. On the last couple trips pulling some decent hills I will take it out of OD running about 2200rpm I notice it rev up to about 2500 with a little lose in power. It seems like it is slipping. It has done this a couple times the last trip to Winnemucca, NV from Washington was the worst with some long pulls.

Took the truck in had transmission oil changed told the guy my story. He said oil was due for change but not bad no smell or dark color. In his test drive said it shifted fine didn't notice anything. The other mechanic seemed to think the TC was slipping and going bad.
My question is what to do, how do you know? You can't really inspect it unless you drop it, rebuild is about $3500 with heavy duty TC and total tranny. I know the history of the 4r100 tranny some go at 100,000 some last longer. Looking for some ideas I have thought about selling and getting a newer 6.7L, but this is a good truck still, though down on horse power compared to the new motors. Thanks Jeff

Last edited:

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the TC clutch is slipping you will get an RPM increase when pulling hard in OD without and y increase in speed.A trans temp gauge would help nail it down because you would see a temp increase as well.Does it "slide" into OD or shift like the other gear changes? Every truck (well almost) is a bit different as far as shift patterns.I would load the heaviest trailer I had on to it,find a long steep hill and run up to it about 55-60mph.Maintain the speed as long as possible w/o letting it shift out of OD and compare RPM to speed carefully.Do it several times to establish that there is a definite pattern with what is happening.RPM and speed should drop together while doing this.If the RPM stays the same but the speed drops,you may have an issue.Give that a try and post back your results.Before you drop $3500 at a trans shop for a reman and a new,stock type converter,look hard at the 2 or 3 shops that actually "build" the 4r100 for towing and supply converters with multiple clutch plates. If the motor is strong and the bodys not rusty,invest in a good built trans and keep it. It is not that high of a mileage unit and the 6.7 is not w/o its share of issues either.

Duallydiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If the TC clutch is slipping you will get an RPM increase when pulling hard in OD without and y increase in speed.A trans temp gauge would help nail it down because you would see a temp increase as well.Does it "slide" into OD or shift like the other gear changes? Every truck (well almost) is a bit different as far as shift patterns.I would load the heaviest trailer I had on to it,find a long steep hill and run up to it about 55-60mph.Maintain the speed as long as possible w/o letting it shift out of OD and compare RPM to speed carefully.Do it several times to establish that there is a definite pattern with what is happening.RPM and speed should drop together while doing this.If the RPM stays the same but the speed drops,you may have an issue.Give that a try and post back your results.Before you drop $3500 at a trans shop for a reman and a new,stock type converter,look hard at the 2 or 3 shops that actually "build" the 4r100 for towing and supply converters with multiple clutch plates. If the motor is strong and the bodys not rusty,invest in a good built trans and keep it. It is not that high of a mileage unit and the 6.7 is not w/o its share of issues either.
I have had it loaded and left it in OD, and basically take a run at the hill, (not waiting until the hill slows me down then punch the gas) so to speak. It will do fine and rpm's and speed will slow with loss of speed being the bigger decline. Then I back off the pedal shift out of OD it will start to increase speed slightly then you hear the engine rev and rpm's jump about 2000. This is usually 45mph or less a grunt up the hill. Every weekend this month is a rodeo so will be hauling hills on 2 of those with pretty good climbs. I just don't want to blow a TC and be stuck with 2 horses on the side of the road.

Duallydiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is "Ram" a bad word on this forum?? All I get from my friend is "Dude my 2012 Dodge can haul 30,000lbs"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58