How does this truck sound to buy? '02 7.3 80k mi rebuilt tranny

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm attemping to convert from a chevy guy to a ford. What first got me even considering it was the strait front axle, then the looks grew on me, then you see a crew cab long box lifted that looks too good not to have, then you need one.

Found a '02 f350, 80k original miles, crew cab, long box, single wheel, 7.3, lariat, PRICE: $20,000. Its at a used car dealership, apparently the original owner who owned a landscape company traded it on a bigger truck (2 ton or somthing). It all appears very nice except it had a tranny rebuilt, and it has a box from a '08 on it because while loading somthing in the box with a bobcat the side got crushed.

Is a new tranny at only 80k somthing to be worried about?

Is the '08 box pretty much a plug and play swap, bolts line up, tail lights harness just plug in, gas filler cap line up no problems?

From what I can tell the rest of the truck looks pretty good from the pictures, doesn't look like its been a work truck its whole life.

Thanks.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can the truck have 80k and a new tranny have 80k? If it is a NEW/REBUILT tranny, it will have less miles than the truck. I'd pull a oasis report and have a mechanic check it out. That is LOW milage for a 7.3....especially these days. What does it book out at?

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know man that sounds a little fishy to me. i got the exact same thing. all original, one owner for $17k with 87k miles. If i were you i would either look for something else (they are out there) or talk them way down. if the tranny has been rebuilt already thats a sign that the truck has been run hard. potential damage to other parts could have already been done.

just my 2 cents

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless they come up with some outdammstanding reasons and paperwork I would be leary and run fast. Tranny rebuilt at 80K? As said....walks like a duck..........you know the drill. These trannys WILL holdup for alot of miles. BUT not if they have been abused/put through the ringer/over worked, you get the idea.
Just like anything else built by man. Use it like it's supposed to be and 99 times out of 100 it will do just fine. But beat the you know what out of anything and it will fail.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I can see it needing the trans at 80k...
they told you the guy had a landscape business.. so he hauled a lot with it.
And then he smartened up and got an F550.

Oh yeah. That guy overloaded it bigtime.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run away, run away. He probably jackknife the truck with a bobcat on a trailer and crushed the bed. On the tran I could see 8K on it but I'd still run away.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. owner who owned a landscape company

2. while loading somthing in the box with a bobcat the side got crushed.

3. looks pretty good from the pictures

:watchout was the tranny rebuilt.. for the FIRST time @ 80K ?

[Finally] desided he needed a Bigger Truck ?

Hmmmm..

I'd look around a bit more.

Last edited:

hrc200x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm less excited about the truck now after reading your thoughts.

The truck has 80k on it and the tranny was just rebuilt by the dealer that took it in. So tranny probably has less than 100 miles on it.

That was a red flag to me when he said it has a rebuilt tranny, then to find out the guy owned a landscape business, so yes I'm sure it has towed a bobcat, plus hauled some stuff in the box, which is how the box got tore up somthing fell on the side of it.

The guy that said they are out there, I'm not so sure about that. There are plenty of short boxes, but a '02/3 crew long box SRW 7.3 with less than 100k is a needle in a haystack. Keep me in mind if you find one.

Is there a way to search many dealers at one time? or search multiple states or cities on craigslist? I'd prefer to buy one from a private owner as then you can find out the history on it, as long as they are honest.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
searchtempest.com will search craigslist around you in multiple cities you just tell it the mileage. Also keep an eye on autotrader and trucktrader, mine was listed in the commercial truck trader.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58