How good are the 5 speed trannies?

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The 5 speed is nice when it's new. It turns into a big turd with miles on it. The 6 speed is nothing more than a 5 speed with an extra gear. It's a turd too.:D

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5 speed is nice when it's new. It turns into a big turd with miles on it. The 6 speed is nothing more than a 5 speed with an extra gear. It's a turd too.:D

Not so fast Trackspeeder;

If you have written the above just to get a response, then you have succeeded. If you believe what you have written, then you have not driven one.
Automatic transmissions have more parasitic drag than manuals which means that given the same vehicle, less the transmissions, you will get worse mpg and less hp out of the transmission. The automatic has some advantages over the manual, of which starting on a steep hill, or driving in stop and go traffic are some of the advantages. Mpg and power are not. If you want to drag race a manual, then the automatic wins hands down. If you want to pull a load over a mountain, then the manual wins. We should talk after both of us has 300,000 miles on our trucks, and lets see who has more money tied up in transmission repair.
End of lecture.
:pb

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have the 6 speed in my truck...that was one of the main things I knew that I wanted when I was looking.

Personally, I really enjoy having the manual trans. It's not as fast as the auto truckss, but then again I didn't buy mine to drag race with either. It's still fast though, and still fun to drive. I was told by a few people that I would hate the 6 speed after they heard what I bought...they sure were wrong.:tounge

Now, I will say that the shift pattern does take a little to get used to. Of the three vehicles with a clutch in my immediate family, all have a different shift pattern. The ZF6 is the oddball too as reverse is far left and forward...but it's not that big of a deal either. Having three different gates is also a bit unusual, but again, it isn't bad to get used to.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Not so fast Trackspeeder;

If you have written the above just to get a response, then you have succeeded. If you believe what you have written, then you have not driven one.
Automatic transmissions have more parasitic drag than manuals which means that given the same vehicle, less the transmissions, you will get worse mpg and less hp out of the transmission. The automatic has some advantages over the manual, of which starting on a steep hill, or driving in stop and go traffic are some of the advantages. Mpg and power are not. If you want to drag race a manual, then the automatic wins hands down. If you want to pull a load over a mountain, then the manual wins. We should talk after both of us has 300,000 miles on our trucks, and lets see who has more money tied up in transmission repair.
End of lecture.
:pb

:clap::nutkick:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Have I mentioned yet that I really like the shifting strategy of the 5R110? Especially in Tow/Haul mode with a load behind it?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I stated above, I really like our manual transmission, but when we were in Oklahoma, I got food poisoning, and had to lay over for three days, because my wife could not drive the manual. Since then I have taken her out and taught her how to drive the truck, "not smoothly" but at least she can drive it now in case of an emergency. So there are many advantages to having a automatic, but I still prefer our manual. We averaged 13.3 mpg pulling our 30 ft. 5th wheel.
Some automatics do not get that empty. Empty at 70 mph we get 18.5 mpg. It has not changed since we bought it, and it now has 15,000 miles. Most of the guys around here with automatics get around 17 mpg at the same speed.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
as mentioned earlier it is more about preferance than anything. i have always wanted a manual in my truck and never had one so this go around i got one and yes very hard to find so i just ordered mine so i couild get what i wanted and didnt pay for some of the crap they put on at the factory for the regular lot trucks. i have an auto in my 2000 f250 and liked it sold it to my bro and it now has almost 180k on it and still original tranny and has had a programmer since about 90k and its still kickin prolly could use a lil work as it is a little looser now but good tranny as for my 05 with the 6spd in it i like it alot because i pull a lot of trailers and with my auto it was always kickin in the fan and yada yada . yes it is really slow off the line unless u give it a lil pre boost if ya need to make a fast start but for what i use it for i like it

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I have a 6 Spd and love it now. It is so smooth shifting since I put on the Programmer. Before it was realy slugish and torque and RPMS were never the same feeling. Now its like any sport standard car just shift through the gears in a standard rythme and sure love it now. Its different like night and day.

I went up the smoky mountains this spring and never hardly used the brakes on the decents. I got a 6 Spd because its completly controled by me, when to shift. I found that shifting to overdrive under 45MPH surely hurt your MPG either trailering or not. I found that I drive on Drive till 50 and shift to Overdrive over that speed.

millage is super lately.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58