how many miles

dieselweasel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just turned over 250,000 and running at 24+MPG highway. Engine life shouldn't really be judged by mileage but by engine hours. 3000 rpm at 15mph causes as much or more engine wear as 3000 rpm at 75 mph. Diesel engines are generally designed with much greater strength to handle the high compression ratio compared to gasoline engines. GMs terrible experiment in the 80s to build a 5.7L diesel based on a gasoline engine design proved disasterous for the reputation of diesel reliability by consumers, a result that still lingers despite its undeserved affect on modern diesels with no such flawed engineering.

The cynic in me sees how automakers might prefer to have gasoline engines designed to break at 100K miles, instead of diesels that go 500K, so building a terrible diesel in limited quantities to kill off the interest in diesels isn't much of a stretch to imagine. The use of cam timing belts and chains instead of gears might be another example of engines designed to break at intentionally low mileage, particularly with valves that will hit the pistons when they break. Consumers have been conditioned to think that engines should only last 100K miles.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I think they are starting to build gas engines that are designed to go over 100K but you are right it use to be normal for an engine to be wore out at 100K. The newer gas engines today have a maintenance program that says to do the first spark plug change at 100K.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I think they are starting to build gas engines that are designed to go over 100K but you are right it use to be normal for an engine to be wore out at 100K. The newer gas engines today have a maintenance program that says to do the first spark plug change at 100K.

My '91 F-150 straight-six was sold by me at 251K with no internal engine work done on it ever...but many clutches :D

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my poor ranger was totaled @ 215k on the 2.9L v6 no internal work, in the 140k I had the truck for repairs were waterpump, alt, vc gaskets, radius arm bushings, shocks, tires, clutch & trans (bad bearing) were all that was needed. for S&G I did plugs & plug wires (original plugs still gapped correctly) & swapped rears for a better ratio.

People still think vehicles are worn out after 100k but that's when I tend to buy them so I'm not going to try too much to dispel that myth. :D take my mom's 01 BMW 325, 130k all it's maint so far has been t-stat, sparkplugs, a-arm bushing, brakes, & tires and about to hit the 9th oil change (15k intervals)

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother just traded off his 94.5 PSD with 379,8XX miles on it. I'm not sure of all the work that has been done on it, but most recently the DMFW had to be swapped out. It spent most of its life pulling horses and wood.

mark Ekberg

Master of nothing
Reaction score
My personal truck has 215K ish.

Work truck 1995 has 300K but it has some issues.
Other work truck is a Y2K with 180K no issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14