how much fuel fits in my tank?

rcork

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm new at this diesel truck stuff and I have a question for you folks. When I first got my truck I would run it down to nearly empty and fill it up and it would only take 23 or so gallons. The book said my tank is supposed to hold 30 gallons ( 2008 6.4 king ranch short bed job 3 ). So I read on here about the harpoon mod and thought I might just try to fill the tank until fuel came out the fill neck. Now, it takes 5 or 10 minutes to let the foam go down and milk in that last 4 gallons but I'm able to fit 30 or so gallons into the tank. I basically fill the filler neck and can see the fuel in the fill spout before I stop. My question is, is this going to hurt something? Like in a gas car doing this will/could cause the charcoal evap canister to fill with fuel and throw some error codes. But diesel truck don't seem to have evap canisters, so what could it hurt?
Sorry for the long story,
Robert

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard its bad im not really sure but someone told me that there should be air pressure or something i do the same sometimes ....filling it up till it spills mine would stop at 30 gallons i assume its not good but wont hurt if you do it a couple of times

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been filling into the filler neck for years, never had any issue with any diesel, ford or chevy. i believe diesel tank are vacuum, not pressure.

rcork

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll just keep filling it all the way full and see what happens. I really like getting 400 miles to a tank before I have to start looking for fuel. I guess when I get an Aux tank and with the normal tank I'll be able to get at least 800 miles between stops. That would be great.
Robert

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i spent bout $125 to fill up just bout 38gallons i got 450 miles outta that tank but thats driving like a grandpa

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i spent bout $125 to fill up just bout 38gallons i got 450 miles outta that tank but thats driving like a grandpa

No kiddin? Are the MPG on the 6.4 that bad? I get around 425 miles out of 30 gallon in my 7.3...

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not all 6.4's get bad milage, mine is usually never below 14 mixed city/highway, usually more like 17-18 unloaded. but then again, my stock 6.4 smikes like crazy when you get on it, its not supposed to do that either.

rcork

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my 6.4 gets around 14-15 just driving around town and such. I live about 7 miles from the office out in the country (small town) and don't race from every stop sign. Then again, it's better than my Land Rover MPG and 25% larger, and can pull my 5th wheel.

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i work in los angelos so im doin short hauls stop and go and to get back home i have to go up hill where i live is all up and down hill i was getting 7.6 believe or not i got a programmer intake and exhaust im getting 10 mpg in city and 18.5 highway i do here and jack rabbit start but it should be better than that

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yea i threw in some red dye bout 10 gallons in my 6.4 bout $3.10 a/gal and nothing happend funny thing was my mpg went up 1.5 whys that ........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14