How much play in steering?

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
mettech said:
How much play do you have in the steering wheel?
I had a couple of inches of movement and then tightened up the adjustment on the steering gear and reduced it to about a 1/2 and inch. Doesn't wander as much now.
Jim

mettech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have the problem of not keeping it stright on the highway. I have to keep adjusting.:dunno Tire presssure is 60 frnt and 65 rear.

My 03 2500 Ram was spot on with 0 play and a quicker turn ratio. It would turn more like a sports car.
:burnit

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The rule I've always used with trucks and Class B/A rigs is anything over 2" free wheel play is too much.

Tell us more about your truck like year,model,4x2 or 4x4,how many miles,any front end work serviced in the past,etc :sweet

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
JimmyDee said:
I had a couple of inches of movement and then tightened up the adjustment on the steering gear and reduced it to about a 1/2 and inch. Doesn't wander as much now.
Jim
Hey Jim...

How did you go about doing this? I, also, have about two inches of movement and it is sort of annoying. I like to have about an inch, so if you could give me an idea on how to adjust the steering gear, I'd appreciate it.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about 1" or so, I know I need tie rods and the pitman arm bushing could stand to be replaced, but she does wander quite a bit.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
Hey Jim...

How did you go about doing this? I, also, have about two inches of movement and it is sort of annoying. I like to have about an inch, so if you could give me an idea on how to adjust the steering gear, I'd appreciate it.
Under the steering gear there is an allen screw (I think) with a lock nut on it. I turned the setscrew about an 1/8 of a turn and then tried it. I turned the screw between 3/8 and 1/2 a turn and it did it for me.
Be careful because if you get too much it will cause binding and could harm the gear. Its best to have the wheels straight and not turned to the sides when doing the adjustment. Don't get impatient and try for the entire adjustment at one time. Drive it for a day or so in between adjustments and it should do just fine for you.
This will do nothing for a worn front end parts so be careful that you don't try to adjust for bad tie rods or ball joints because it won't work.
Jim

Last edited:

mettech

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck is a '05 F-350, CC, PSD, 4X4, DRW.

I had a 03 Ram 2500 4X4 and the streering had 0 play in it. I would like to remove any play I have in my F-350.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim