How much smoke on cold mornings?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 with no block heater and if it is below 30*, it normally takes two cycles of the key and then two-three starting attempts and it puffs blue-grey smoke for about a minute. I know it's just that Rotella is like molassas at that temp, but I'm curious if this is usual among y'all who have no block heater. Is that normal for starting attempts? Blackstone has sampled the oil and both times have found no trace of block or ring material.
Jesse

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
The 2 key cycles are a common thing if not plugged in. How long are you cranking it before you let off and try again. The smoke is normal.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And when I mean smoke, I mean you can't see through it:) Looks like I'm dusting for skeeters. I crank it for not even 10 seconds, then the second time it normally catches enough cylinders to run and I then let it idle until it smooths out, but it doesn't catch all cylinders until about 1-2 miles down the road....I can feel it on accelleration.
Jesse

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
If it started doing it all of a sudden you either have a weak or bad GPR or a battery took a crap.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine turns over very fast and it has always done it...well...I've had it two winters and it has done it both of them. Anything above 30* and it will start up one cycle first try. Still think glow plugs? What's the life expectancy on those thigns anywho?
Jesse

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Engine turns over very fast and it has always done it...well...I've had it two winters and it has done it both of them. Anything above 30* and it will start up one cycle first try. Still think glow plugs? What's the life expectancy on those thigns anywho?
Jesse

Have you jumped the gp relay to eliminate it? Also you can ohm the GPs....the two outter most pins on each end of the VC harness are the pins you want to probe.

If they are original I would say you have some bad ones. Or some cylinders low on compression.

I've started unplugged in high teens to low 20's on one GP cycle with little white smoke using 15/40 Delo. I don't have an AIH or an EBPV.

You say test show no wear....what about fuel? Bad injector o-rings can cause smoke issues at start up. Have they ever been replaced?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14