How much warm up time is needed in cold weather?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
When the truck is plugged in, it seems ready to drive after about 30 seconds of warming up. When not plugged in, at work for example, I need to let it idle for about 5 minutes before it doesn't sound a bit rough. It's all uphill from work to home, so I tend to let it warm up a bit more than if I was on flat ground. Temps are about 10-20 right now.

Any suggestions?

BLK PWRSTROKE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I let mine warm up for at least 10 minutes if I can. It's about 10-20 here now too. Then again, I've got a friend that drives his 03 F250 like he stole it, never lets it warm up and he's got 180,000 miles on the clock and it's running fine. :doh:

I've been letting my turbo cool down for a minute or 2 before shutting down too. That will all change though when my Juice Platinum gets installed this week! :bama

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I carry a cord with me to work so I can plug it in there also

Believe me, I thought of that, but if you've ever been to West Point at the academy, you'd chuckle at the sight of that! I'd probably need about 1/4 mile of extension cord, and it'd be draped over a cliff or something.

I was wondering if any gadgets out there will start the truck remotely every three hours or so. I had a viper on my other truck that would do that. I've got the Ford remote start/alarm on this truck and I don't think it does that. I thought the AIC did the 3 hour start, but I've got the homemade high idle mod on mine.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe me, I thought of that, but if you've ever been to West Point at the academy, you'd chuckle at the sight of that! I'd probably need about 1/4 mile of extension cord, and it'd be draped over a cliff or something.

I was wondering if any gadgets out there will start the truck remotely every three hours or so. I had a viper on my other truck that would do that. I've got the Ford remote start/alarm on this truck and I don't think it does that. I thought the AIC did the 3 hour start, but I've got the homemade high idle mod on mine.

If you're made of money, you could look at an Espar heater--they're not cheap, but they're quite the shiznit and don't require a plug-in to keep things warm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58