How new is your new tire?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Joe posted this some years back. With the economy the way it is and everyone looking for a bargain, that bargain my kill you or your loved one. Watch the video and take time to check your tires. If buying tires, check the age. They may be brand new and never used true enough but have they deteriorated from age sitting on the shelf.

Watch the video, Please. :rant

Aged Tires: A Driving Hazard? - ABC News

It may save a loved ones life (including yours)! :doh:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu Glad you brought this up again Smokey.

Buyers of most anything.. Be Vigilant out there.. when it comes to Consumables.. check the BOD (Born On Date) Guyz'n Galz.

Joe

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a very good post, glad you did it. This is for all tires that you buy, for car, truck, or trailer. Make them show you the dates of mfg. and refuse the tire if it's over 12 mo's old.
Doug

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm IN the tire business.. and while there is a limit on how old a tire we can sell, 12 months is not uncommon, especially when it's a slow-moving size in a second-tier product.

Seems like every couple of years, the auto industry become enamored with a new size/profile tire, so what WAS a popular size just a few years ago, may actually be obsolete today. Especially good for this is our beloved Ford; an F150 pickup, depending on drive-line, trim and GVW, may have SEVEN different size tires on it from the factory. So we stock the one or two most popular, then get griped at by customers walking out when we don't have one of the less popular options. Hey, we didn't spec it.. Ford did, so go b!tch at them.

Not that I try to stuff a five or six year old tire down anyone's throat, but at the store level, we don't have any choice on how new or old a tire is that we get from the warehouse. Warehouses use FIFO inventory, so if it's a dud, you're going to get a ripe one. And I can't return them simply because they're not 'fresh" enough for a customer. Tires are run off in batches, sold in batches, ordered in batches. So on a B or C mover, a year old might be as new as you're going to find because if you want to wait for the next production run, it might be two months before there's enough orders to justify putting the molds in the ovens. Then it's going to be another six to eight weeks before the tire gets to the store..

So there's two sides to every story.

Last edited:

Bbasso

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Four of mine are recently purchased, as for my spare... LOL, it looks older then me. Just hope it holds up if and when it's needed.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just moving this back up front a little as this summer heat is murder on the rubber. CHECK YOUR TIRES :rant

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
discount tire won't rebalance or remount an older tire

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg