how replaceing injectors on a 2001 7.3

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
Hello i have ordered 8 new injectors and am going to replace them all. i have a 2001 superduty 4x4 w/7.3 and airconditioning. my question is will i need and speacialty tools to replace them and will i need to take out the airconditioning box to get the onese in the back on the passanger side head? also should i replace the glow pugs since i am going to be right there anyways. the truck has 210,000 miles. glow plugs are probably original. any other parts i should think about while i got the valve covers off? thanks

SiFlyBy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You do not need any 'specialty' tools. a 13mm ratchet wrench is nice as are air tools and swivel sockets. You do not need to remove the entire evapotator housing, however to get #7 out and in you do need to remove the vacuum reservoir that is screwed to the side of it, there may be a heat sheild over it in such a way that you cannot tell it is there. Replacing the glow plugs is not a bad idea while your in there. You need to remove them any way. Ater you have installed the new injectors on 1 bank, remove all the glow plugs on that bank. install the valve cover loosely and crank the engine to blow the oil and fuel out of the cylinders. If you do not do this YOU WILL RISK HYRDOLOCKING YOUR ENGINE OR BENDING A CONNECTING ROD. Other parts to inspect will be the valve cover gaskets and the injector wiring harness under the valve cover. They will occasionally burn up. Good luck. Hope this helps.;tu

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
thanks

sounds like youve done it a time or two. thanks for the advice. now i just have to hope it fixes my problems. i tried the trick to check for bad compression with the unscrewed oil fill cap, mine dosnt get blown off but it does rattle around and i can feel the compression coming out of the hole.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14