How times have changed

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Well this morning so far , No mention on any news channels or radio
Today, December 7, 1941--a date which will live in infamy-- we as a country were attacked by the japanese.-mad -mad

"At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States irrevocably into World War II. "

God Bless America,

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
We as a family talked about this at the dinner table last night. I wasnt alive in 1941, but I will NEVER forget that fateful day. A day which began a new era in the direction our WORLD would travel.

When the attack ended shortly before 10:00 a.m., less than two hours after it began, the American forces has paid a fearful price. Twenty-one ships of the U.S. Pacific Fleet were sunk or damaged: the battleships USS Arizona (BB-39), USS California (BB-44), USS Maryland (BB-46), USS Nevada (BB-36), USS Oklahoma (BB-37), USS Pennsylvania (BB-38), USS Tennessee (BB-43) and USS West Virginia (BB-48); cruisers USS Helena (CL-50), USS Honolulu (CL-48) and USS Raleigh (CL-7); the destroyers USS Cassin (DD-372), USS Downes (DD-375), USS Helm (DD-388) and USS Shaw (DD-373); seaplane tender USS Curtiss (AV-4); target ship (ex-battleship) USS Utah (AG-16); repair ship USS Vestal (AR-4); minelayer USS Oglala (CM-4); tug USS Sotoyomo (YT-9); and Floating Drydock Number 2. Aircraft losses were 188 destroyed and 159 damaged, the majority hit before the had a chance to take off. American dead numbered 2,403. That figure included 68 civilians, most of them killed by improperly fused anti-aircraft shells landing in Honolulu. There were 1,178 military and civilian wounded.

Above quote clipped from------>HERE

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
Well this morning so far , No mention on any news channels or radio
Today, December 7, 1941--a date which will live in infamy-- we as a country were attacked by the japanese.-mad -mad

"At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States irrevocably into World War II. "

God Bless America,

YES... GOD BLESS AMERICA.

AND, all of our troops, who go in Harms Way.

When I was stationed at Pearl Harbor, I had the the Honor and Privilege to be chozen to be a member of the "Morning Colors Detail", one Sunday morning, to raise our Flag, over the USS Arizona Memorial.

A Cherished, Lifes memory for Me.

A cool, damp morning in March. A somber, life changeing moment, in my life.

Thought about that this morning, as I do EVERY December 7th.

Yer right.... NOT ONE WORD about it this morning.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I pledge alligiance to the flag

Of the United States of America,

And to the Republic for which it stands,

One nation, under God, indivisible,

With liberty and justice for all

5 simple lines that a good part of our Country has forgotten

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised that the radio station I had it on this morning mentioned that it was the anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

It will always be something that is stuck in my head. I think partially because as a little rugrat of 7 almost 8 I was had the privalege of visiting the USS Arizona & Pearl Harbor. Even then my parents made sure that I understood the magnitude of what happened that fateful day in 1941.

24%20-%20Pearl%20Harbor%20Memorial%20-%20Hawaii%20-%209-8-2001_sm.jpg

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
I read the book about the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier that was not that far away from Pearl. She launched all her planes but was just out of range of the Japanese fleet. Boy she would have given them a hell of a surprise if she had found them. A lot of those Jap planes would have had nowhere to land.

Yamamoto the famous Japanese Admiral pleaded with the Emperor not to attack the US cause he insisted they couldn't win. They wouldn't listen to him. His famous words "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant" was so true.Within days of the attack on Pearl the Enterprise was attacking Japanese bases in the Marshall islands.

And when you see most of the American fleet was repaired and back in service within months is a fine example of the resolve of the American nation.

My dad was on convoy duty during the war and he said it was impressive to see 200 hundred ship convoys going to Europe.

What's really strange was I turned on CNN today and not a word about Pearl Harbor. Either that or I must have missed it.:confused:

It's so easy to forget.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
That would be because the popular media has been having so much fun finding everything wrong with, and bashing, America, that having even a moment's worth of time to remind us the price that has been paid to give them that right is too much to ask. We so easily forget the reasons that America has found to come to action, and so readily decry and lament the results of her actions once the reasons for them are forgotten.

We have already forgotten about 9/11, for pete's sake, why the heck would you expect anybody in the media to remember Pearl Harbor, unless it was to use the opportunity to open a segment on how evil America was when they interned all of the Japanese Americans during WWII in the internment camps? Or to put forth the conspiracy theory that Roosevelt knew the attack was coming and did nothing, because he wanted to go to war?

We spend hours each night hearing about how horribly those poor, innocent young men at Gitmo are treated by the bloodthirsty and evil Marines there, and hear nothing about how these absolute bastards are the same men that bomb women and children, blow up buildings, and would gladly die, if they were given the opportunity, to kill just one American, all in the name of (their)God. We hear nothing about the Marines that are "Over There" putting the hurt on these absolute bastards, and keeping us all safe from them as best they can. We hear nothing about the American soldiers that spend freezing cold nights on some hill in Afganistan to keep an eye on a cave entrance so that they can continue to capture and erode the networks of absolute bastards that continue to hurt us.

No, all we hear about is the horrific, cruel treatment that we are putting these bastards through. That the fact that they are beheading people "Over There" is overlooked is inevitable. That some idiot kids, put in a bad situation, put them through what amounts to no more than a spirited FRATERNITY PRANK is what we look at, because it makes America look bad. Allowing Americans to realize that these men are insane murderers, not innocent babies, would give our efforts legitimacy, and legitamacy does not get ratings.

No, Pearl Harbor is not big news, because it is a symbol of one of those moments that brought America to greatness through trials. The Japs did, indeed, awaken a sleeping giant, as did Al-Qaeda. However, last time around, the sleeping giant was not sabotaged by forces from within. THis time, we all need to do our part to make sure that these sabotuers are not given any regard.

God bless our fighting men and women, throughout history. God bless those souls who went out fighting for, instead of complaining about, the greatest country in history.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I was at a basketball game last night and they brought out 4 Pearl Harbor verterans, thanked them and gave them flowers. I was glad to see the whole stadium was standing and giving them huge applause. Much more than the game ever got. I was afraid from the pitiful respect everyone shows the flag during the National Anthem they would do the same for the veterans. Did not hear anything about it on TV yet today. The libeals want it to go away so they can really hate America for nuking the Japanese. They like to believe it was completely unjustified.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14