How to center steering wheel

FJK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello All, my first post!
This is an issue I've had for years, but never had time to correct before now. On my 99 F250 PSD, the steering wheel is cocked to the left when going straight. I'll just say the toe setting is correct due to tire wear, steering response, etc. On passenger cars, when this condition exists, you would normally turn both tie rod ends in the same direction an equal amount, to center the steering wheel without affecting the toe setting.

What procedure is used on a F250? Reason I ask, I have conflicting information. The Ford service manual says to lock the steering wheel on center & adjust RH toe with the right adjuster & LH toe with the left adjuster. With that procedure, it eludes to move both adjusters an equal amount to put the steering wheel on center (as I described above). However, a post on another website said the RH adjuster is to set toe & the LH adjuster (by the pitman arm) is used to center the steering wheel.

Did I confuse everyone? Anyhow, I could use some guidance here. Also, any info on which direction to turn adjusters to lengthen or shorten the links. This would save me time on trial and error.

Thanks, FJK

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome3 To Super Duty Diesel. Please fill out your signature by using the User CP button above. Put in there what you drive and where you live. This will help us help you. I am going to assume you have a four wheel drive truck for my answer to your question. There is a draglink going from the steering box to the right side steering knuckle. This is what you want to adjust to center the wheel either left or right. If you have a two wheel drive, then what you stated sounds good, but I have never aligned a two wheel drive truck. I just did my toe in yesterday on my truck and a friends. Both trucks are four wheelers. Good Luck.

Dave :)

FJK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen:
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, truck is 4WD, so the drag link adjuster is what needs to be adjusted.The one by the pitman arm? I'll update my user profile as soon as I get done with this reply. Thanks, FJK

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
use the link from the box to the far side to center the wheel...
lock the wheel straight ahead (use a prop, not the column lock), adjust the far wheel to HALF of your total toe spec.

set total toe with the other sleeve.

test drive it.

fine tune it in 1/3 turn increments - each 1/3 turn should be about 1 hour clock position of the steering wheel...

if it's mega-off, you may have a weak or sloppy rear spring bushing (creates a thrust angle)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
FJK: You are correct, it is the one that goes from the pitman arm to the right steering knuckle.

Dave

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hijack warning...
Where is the rear spring bushing? The plastic sleeve between the leafs? Mine seems to be eaten through...
Jesse
Hijack complete...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14