How to change the AC clutch

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my AC clutch on my 99 7.3.

I cannot find any info on how to go about it. Looking at the new clutch it appears that all that is needed is a bolt to press the clutch disk off, replace components then draw it back on with the bolt that holds it in place am I over simplifying this? I know the spacer needs to be put in as well just not sure which spacer goes in.

Any guidance would ba appriciated.
Jeff

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
it really isn't that big a deal..
the bolt that holds the drive plate spins out, you can usually weasel the drive plate off without extra tools..
pair of snap ring pliers for the clutch coil..

half-inch drive breaker bar for the belt tensioner...

I read a post on another site where they guy said he did it in O'Reilly's parking lot in like ten minutes..
now, ten minutes is a little fast if you've never done one before, but half an hour would be good...

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I changed one on an explorer once but it was a real pain in the ass. Like to never got it off then had to warm the plate to be able to beat it back on with a rubber mallet. I was just hoping this was easier than that experience :)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
some of Ford's compressors (and almost all GM's) have a lip turned down over the clutch coil.. if you get the drive plate off and don't see a big-ass snap ring, STOP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14