How To: Change Waterpump

A/Ox4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk. Talk. Talk. LETS SEE THE VIDEO. 30 minutes, from a driveable start to a driveable finish, changing the water pump.

By "driveable start", that doesn't mean you have to change it while the engine is still hot. It just means that the truck has to be driveable. If the coolant is already drained and the fan shroud, hoses, degas bottle, etc is already disassembled, then that would be a bogus bs claim of changing a water pump in 30 minutes. It can be cold sitting overnight, but driveable start to a driveable finish. That is what is implicitly implied when taking the truck in to have the water pump replaced.

Air tools, hydraulic tools, factory tools, military tools, NASA tools... ANY tool ya got.

Just transferring the sensors from the old pump to the new pump correctly, cleaning the threads, resealing the threads, etc, takes time. The time it takes for the coolant to drain takes time. The time it takes to refill the coolant takes time. The time it takes to bleed air out of the system takes time. The time it takes to set and secure the new water pump O ring gasket takes time. The time it takes to position the fan shroud and fan together with the tabs seated without bashing the fins takes time.

30 minutes? "In out wham bam thank you ma'am". Ha. Ok. Where's that unedited, uncut away video?

Unedited uncut video huh? Well thats not quite how it works. When I make a how to video, I dont put the camera on a chair near by and yell in the direction of the camera for the whole video. When I make a video the time it takes to perform a task increases by about 30-50% because much of the time is setting up a camera angle, or redoing a take because the wind kicked up or a kid rode by on his skate board (which the camera picks up surprisingly well). A lot of the videos I have arent perfect because I'm not in the business of producing studio quality video (anymore) and dont have the kind of time to commit to a perfect video. However, it is a hobby I enjoy and something I do to help people who find it easier to watch it done first.

Not that you are aware, but I have changed my water pump several times for various reasons. The first time I did it I took about 2 hours. My record from "driveable" was about 30 minutes and it was hot (ok well warm). I had a time crunch because I had a job (working for myself at the time) scheduled for about an hour later.

Having it done in 30 mins doesnt make me "better" than anyone else, just means I had things set up and was focused as well as familiar with the procedure.
Obviously I'm not perfect If I have had to do the swap so many times. The 30 min swap was due to a rusted pump. I had to dump in a case of 24 water bottles into my coolant after blowing a hose in the desert. 2 weeks later the pump started failing from rust.
And the video isnt of my 'record' swap. When I plan on making a video, I set apart most of my afternoon so I can edit right after.

But hows this. I dont plan on changing my pump for a long time. But if I do need to, or someone near me asks for help, I will set up a camera and shoot from start to finish.
Your end of the deal is not to call BS if it actually takes 32 mins :)

How about we say thanks for the great video it really was nice of you to post that and it will help a lot of people. Whats with all the negative waves.

thanks again.

You are very welcome sir, and thank you.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't let the nay-sayers get to you. You did a very good job on your video. I believe you can change a water pump in 30 minutes if you get all set up for the job and use air tools. Thank you.

Dave :thumbs

Y2KW57

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Your end of the deal is not to call BS if it actually takes 32 mins :)

Deal.

30 minutes. 32 minutes. Any time in thirty-something minutes.

Air tools. Water tools. Rotunda tools. Dealer-only tools. Tools the Egyptians used to built the pyramids in Giza. Any tool goes, just as long as the torque is correct on the fasteners.

Speaking of dealers, the Ford Service Labor Operation Time Standards, famous for cutting the time allotted for flat rate warranty reimbursements, still allows up to 2.1 hours for a water pump replacement on 1998.5 to 2003.5 F-Superduty Powerstroke 7.3L diesels. That's what Ford Motor Company would have paid a full fledged Ford dealership with a lift, a professionally trained technician, in a fully equipped service bay. You said you can get the same job done in 30 minutes under your shade tree. Let's see that video.

Let the skateboard kid roll on by. Let the birds sing and the dogs bark. Just turn off the sound, we don't need to hear it. Just watching you work with the speed and efficiency that you boasted of in your first post would be mesmerizing enough to garner hundreds of thousands of hits from technicians around the world who would like to learn of ways to get paid for 2 hours while only working for 30 minutes. You wouldn't need to utter a single word of explanation. No retakes required. No angle changes necessary for a better view. YOU would be what we would be watching in the video, not the water pump.

This calling of the bluff is not negative, nor is it non appreciative of the video already posted. It simply responds directly to the claim of being able to R&R a water pump out of a driveable 7.3L truck and make it driveable again in 30 minutes. Or now 32 minutes. Whatever thirty minutes you want to claim, let's simply see it. No worries about calling BS after that.

One angle, one shot, no sound. Now THAT video would go viral.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58