how to convert a regular truck to a dually

charlie q

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok i need to take my 06 f250 and make it a dually to help with my load i already have the bed what else do i need beside's wheels?? thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will need the rear end to get the proper off sat. You will need to change the frond hub assy or add the adapter onto the hub for the correct wheels. And of course, you will need 6 wheels either new or off of a dually. I know I am forgetting something. Thought you might get away cheap??

Dave

charlie q

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ya i have to say i didn't really think the rear ends were different but i guess they are al little narrower. As far as cheap i looked up dually rear ends on car-part.com and they go for around $2000 or so. not so cheap right

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be better of finding a dually truck rather than convert your f-250 cause its still gonna have a f-250 GVW, unless you really love the truck you have.

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, if i was doing the swap i would find front and rear dually axles and springs, but with only 7k in your truck you should be able to sell it and make some money

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I only have about 7k in the truck so I have a little room to spend some money

right there you're doinked..

you're looking at spending major cash on the minimum tires, wheels, rear end, front hubs and hips.

it's not going to help you carry any more weight... it just makes it more stable as the payload (trailer, usually) is less likely to shove the rear end of the truck around...

I agree with WP..
sell the truck and bed and buy a dually..

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen guys looking to go the other way on a few sites in the recent past . see if you can put together a swap . If not you dont have to change the rear end . I know an actual dually rear end is narrower but like alot of other people I put big ass tires on my dually and had to add spacers to keep the rear duals apart . With my spacers and 315 75 16 's I added 6 " to the overall width of my rear end (tire to tire ) It's really no big deal . Just put the dually rims on the back and roll . The rims and tires will be right at the edge of the dually flares and the extra width only makes it more stable . As far as the front , no big deal either , just buy the factory ford spacers to run the dually wheels . They are for sale on ebay and all over all the time for about 300 a set . There are also some companies that sell them aftermarket . You may have to change the front studs , they are a different style of stud to bolt on the adapter but I don't know that changing them is a must .There is no other difference in the front end (i.e. hubs , lockouts , ect ) . As was said you won't be increasing gvrw but definately create a much more stable ride .

It's really not that big of a deal and can be done very easily .

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
When I was searching/buying my truck I was wondering what the point of the dually was. It costs more every time you need to buy tires, it shorts your gvw, and kills your gas mileage along with it needing to be on a heaver truck kills gas mileage. What I heard is that it makes pulling anything bed mounted trailers less likly to twist, tip, and deal with tounge heavy trailers (RV, toy haulers, generated/front tank mounted rigs, three car trailers) easier on the tires.

I knew I would never own anything but a hitch mounted trailer. so with the money I saved and have been saving I just put into the truck and keep it tip top!

But if you must!!! just toss on your bed and throw these on and call er done.

020911-05.jpg

charlie q

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have seen guys looking to go the other way on a few sites in the recent past . see if you can put together a swap . If not you dont have to change the rear end . I know an actual dually rear end is narrower but like alot of other people I put big ass tires on my dually and had to add spacers to keep the rear duals apart . With my spacers and 315 75 16 's I added 6 " to the overall width of my rear end (tire to tire ) It's really no big deal . Just put the dually rims on the back and roll . The rims and tires will be right at the edge of the dually flares and the extra width only makes it more stable . As far as the front , no big deal either , just buy the factory ford spacers to run the dually wheels . They are for sale on ebay and all over all the time for about 300 a set . There are also some companies that sell them aftermarket . You may have to change the front studs , they are a different style of stud to bolt on the adapter but I don't know that changing them is a must .There is no other difference in the front end (i.e. hubs , lockouts , ect ) . As was said you won't be increasing gvrw but definately create a much more stable ride .

It's really not that big of a deal and can be done very easily .

The trailer I'm going to pull is a 38' goose neck with three cars ( I'll post a pic later) I've already pulled this trailer a few times with out a dually and it wasn't to bad but it seemed like the wind was pushing on the top car causing it to feel unstable. I'll see if I can find the front spacers thanks for everybodys help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58