How to determine tongue weight

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
I always eyeballed my Jeep and trailer. I loaded the trailer on the truck and then loaded the Jeep onto the trailer. I kept moving forward until I saw the tongue drop about 1½ to 2 inches with the load on it. By experence I knew it was properly loaded and it never caused me any problems.

Dave

This system has always worked for me. It's staying within the receiver ratings that's important because the dually won't feel that load. For reference, my 18' steeldeck car trailer weighs 2100#.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike K, glad that you are getting to come home for a few days. Enjoy yourself. I think if you pull the car on the trailer forward and park it behind your tool box, you will be just fine as long as the back end of your truck drops down about 2 in. and gets some weight on the overloads.
Wish you could be here for the May get together in Texas.
Be safe and have a good trip.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
thanks WD40,

Just for an update i went down to VA today to get the truck. Kaufmans didnt have any trailers so i just rented a car hauler from U-haul and everything went flawless. 6 hour drive to get the truck and another 6 hours back with the truck, trailer and my brothers dodge avenger on the trailer. Its been a long day. I will post pics tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14