how to do ebpv gutting and aih deletein

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
I am rebuilding my engine and currently have the engine in parts so i figured it would be a good time to do it. it looks to me that if i dissasemble the valve i n the turbo exaust side there would be a hole in the top and botton of the housing where the butterfly is conected. also what do i do with the actaul rod sticking out of the pedestool? mine currently leaks right there.

cvdenson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the size, but you put freeze plugs in the holes. On my pedistal, I cut the rod and tapped the hole and plugged it.

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
soumds good to me i heard somthin about

if you disable the rod in the pedestal that it might starve the turbo for oil? any comments on this?

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freeze plugs are 20MM. You tap the hole where the actuator is, so the turbo is still getting oil, it just doesn't actuate anything anymore.

OBS96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What? Tap, and plug the acctuator rod hole?

I just ground the rod off, and left it. That's been over a year ago, no problems. Could I have one, and not even know it? You guys have got me worried now. Do I need to make some immediate repairs? Chime in ASAP guys, please. Turbo's ain't cheap! And Thanks!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
There are a couple of options for the EBPV guttage. You can go the do-it-yourself route (which 90% of this mod is DIY so why not make it 100% yours). Get the 20mm freeze plugs (I think 3/4" plugs work also) and unbolt the turbo outlet flange, knock or grind the rivets off the shaft that the butterfly is on, pull the butterfly out, drive the shaft out the hole and plug the holes with your newly acquired freeze plugs.

Now you have the pedestal to modify. You can do this on or off the truck, turbo removal isnt easy but its doable. Off the truck you will get a cleaner job, on the ruck you wont cuss near as much. On the drivers side of the pedestal there is a snap ring, remove it and push the piston and rod out that open hole where you removed the ring and plug. On the passengers side you now have an empty hole about 1/4" where the rod protruded from. Drill it out to the correct size to accept a 1/4" PIPE tap. Here is where cleanliness is important, you must get all the drill and tap shavings out of that cavity. Compressed air and or carb cleaner will work. Now thread in a 1/4" pipe plug, put the cover and snap ring back in, bolt up your newly gutted outlet flange and enjoy your new found turbo whistle and lower EGT's.

OR

Dont modify your pedestal, just BUY THIS. If you are removing the pedestal you must replace the o-rings.

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
this is what i was refering to as far as the pedestal modification to me the way it is explaining it if you remove the piston it would starve the turbo baring for oil? mabey im just not reading it right.....

If you simply plug the hole and leave the sensor plugged in, you may cause yourself the loss of a turbo from lack of oil flow. Let me explain. The same feed port that feeds the turbo bearing is feeding the EBV piston. There is one supply port and one return port in the pedestal. When the EBP sensor sends the signal to the pedestal to shut the valve,which is not there in this case, the oil dumps off to the return port in the pedestal with no resistance. This is the same return port as the one for the turbo. The piston separated the two when it is was properly used from the factory. Basically, while the valve is being actuated or attempted to in your case the turbo gets no oil or very little. The turbo bearing is the highest place in the engine for oil to travel and it will follow the path of least resistance. If you remove this piston in the pedestal, you MUST not allow computer control of the valve any longer. You must disconnect the sensor from the pedestal. Yes, you will get a code (not a light) telling you the valve is non-operational, but it's the only way to do it.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
....On my pedistal, I cut the rod and tapped the hole and plugged it.

That's what I did. I just cut the rod off, tapped and plugged the hole and unplugged the wire connector from the EBV actuator.

if you disable the rod in the pedestal that it might starve the turbo for oil? any comments on this?

If you unplug the wire connector, the actuator will never function and shouldn't reduce any oil to the turbo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14