how to lift a 7.3 safely?

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
What do I need to build a -frame hoist , material wise that can handel the weight, fyi 7.3 is 1750lbs wet I'm told

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
I want to save as much as possible on labor, well at least save where its possible and spend more on upgrades when I can, I just called 3 dealers and they all say block and heads weight around 1700 lbs dry- no fluids, I want to make a aframe engine hoist to pull her out my self, I'm figuring its got to be cheaper than 1300 to build one than pay someone to do it for me and I could use it for other things later when needed.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would design it to lift 2000 pounds safely. You don't want to get crushed even by 900 pounds.

Dave

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Does anybody know what gauge metal I need, tubing, etc to use in making one, I'm hoping someone here has built one and can point me in the right direction.

dpantazis

Reaction score
unless you know what you are doing, don't follow any design webpage you may find. i beams are terrible at torsion and side loads. you get the load swinging and it becomes a pretzel.

factor of safety of hoisting equipment and the like is a minimum of 4:1! so you are looking at an ultimate strength of 8-10,000 for a 2000 lb lift.

the rated capacity will say what the factor of safety was considered.

my professional advise, look at what is commercially available and then use that is your starting point. try looking for published plans or like the ag extension office. sometimes they have things like that and you can be assured they have been look at six ways to sunday.

can you get access to one to look at up close? a rental place maybe? at another garage?

Wallace Tri-Adjustable Aluminum Cranes
are nice, and the beam is top hung so the hung load is self righting to the beam.

is there a northern near?
Gantry Cranes | Hoists, Lifts + Cranes | Material Handling | Northern Tool + Equipment

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Good point dpantazis! I was not trying to recommend an I beam for the hoist, just trying to get bears4x4 on the right track. You are correct in having him copy what someone is currently using. I totally agree with your safety factor of 4:1.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58