How to pull the side fuel tank

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This has to fall under the 'Dumb a**' category. I was drilling a hole in the frame on the drivers side and popped a hole in one of the fuel lines. Needless to say there is fuel going everywhere and I can't get the lines loose from the sidriver's side tankl where the lines are hidden behind.
What is the secret to get the 2 lines off the top of the tank so I can drop it and repair my Dumba** mistake??

I am catching about 70% of the fuel in 2 5 gallon buckets whle the rest runs down the driveway.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sparky is not a good name for this problem. :eek: Be careful. Good luck!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
This has to fall under the 'Dumb a**' category. I was drilling a hole in the frame on the drivers side and popped a hole in one of the fuel lines. Needless to say there is fuel going everywhere and I can't get the lines loose from the sidriver's side tankl where the lines are hidden behind.
What is the secret to get the 2 lines off the top of the tank so I can drop it and repair my Dumba** mistake??

I am catching about 70% of the fuel in 2 5 gallon buckets whle the rest runs down the driveway.

might be easier to take out the bed bolts and jack up the bed..

JSchuricht

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You need a fuel line puller. You can pull the lines with the tank and bed in place but it's not easy. The tool slips over the line, you apply pressure on the tool away from the line and pull the line out. I would recommend getting away from the quick connects and just putting in a piece of new line with clamps. IIRC it's 3/8 for the supply and 5/8 for the return.

The above applies to my 00, not sure on other years.

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I just pulled my fuel tank last week. Did the hutch mods and everything else since I was already there. Basically 2 quick connects on the fuel lines on top of the tank, fuel sending unit wire plug in and 3 bolts for taking the tank straps off. Also take the 2 clamps loose on the filler neck and vent hose on the filler neck. Pretty easy really. I also recommend replacing all quick connects with hose. I didnt do this with the return lines. I would soak down those quick connects. Sometimes they get frozen up. Let them soak awhile.

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Side tank

:)I dropped the tank with a transmission jack with the lines attached. Disconnects must be frozen. Repairs made and truck is on the road again. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58