how to rebuild a 2002 7.3

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
when i had the block boared .030

.030 over it was not enought to get all the imperfections, so i had to send the .030 over kit back and exchange it for a .040 over. the machine shop also had to sleeve one cylinder. total so far is 405 worth of machine work, they cleaned the block checked the line on the mains resurfaced the deck, sleeved one clinder and bored it and the rest to .040 over. also instaled cam bearings and new freeze plugs. the rebuild kit was 950 dollars, it came with everything complete with every gasket and seal i need to put it all back together. so all in all it is gonna cost a total of aproximatly 1500 dollars, not i did all the work myself other than the machine work so that saved me aproximatley 3500 dollars acording to the shop i asked how much they were gonna charge me 3500 to do the exact same thing i did. ford was gonna charge me about 9000 to stick another motor in it. wow im sure glad i have access to a shop and a lift.

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
hello

yeah i pulled the valves out of the heads to look them over and they all look like new no piting on the sealing surfaces or anything, i just knocked the carbon build up off the top of the valves through the new valve stem seal on and though them back together, they have 210,000 miles on em and they look like new. no worries with them i could have put new springs on them but the shop told me they would be fine and it would realy be a waste of money seein as how there is apsolutly no wear showing on any componets of the head. so i guess i got lucky there, but according to the machinist all the 7.3's hes rebuild or done work for have not realy needed any head work what soever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl