How to replace axle u-joint?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a good link or instruction page on how to replace a axle u-joint. I've got a vibration/frinding in the front end....does it in drive and in neutral while coasting. I dont feel ANY play in the wheel bearins. I squared up each u-joint and pried on them with a bar to see how much play there was. The entire driver side axle is new and there wasnt much play in it. There was a noticeable more amount of play in the passenger side. I'm leaving sunday headed back to Louisiana...500+ miles trip. And I plan on taking the Natchez Trace back from Tupelo to Jackson and really would hate to break down somewhere in between.

Also, drive shaft feels pretty solid. I noticed since I've added this ranch hand bumper, that when I come to the bottom of a hill...the nose of my truck gets weighed down and I can feel it much worse.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
gotta do it with a hammer and anvil.. the axle joints are too big for a U-joint press...

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
your u-joints shouldn't be turning when the hubs are unlocked. Its a pretty involved process to get them out you have take the unitbearing to get at them. I have never done it on my super duty but my jeep is the same way. A ball joint press works awesome at removing u-joints. That is all I use now, screw all the hammers and socket crap.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your u-joints shouldn't be turning when the hubs are unlocked. QUOTE]

:doh:....Shoulda thought of that. I was gonna get some money saved up and have my ball joints replaced. And while I'm in there, I'll have the passenger side u-joint replaced. I think the extra weight of my bumper has given some affect on it. Thanks;tu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58