How to select straps via weight

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Hello,

How do I pick the right tie down. I have some 10,000 ratchet straps now but they are starting to wear out. I am going to have to replace at least two of them. However I found that the price of them have gone up a bit. And at the same time the 5,000 are now at the same price of the 10,000 where a few years ago. The car I will be towing is 2,500 pounds, does all the weight need to be held in one straps working load range? Or can I count on the strength of two straps working load??? please help!!!

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say you would be fine to devide the 2. But If it was ME....I would buy the bigger ratchets/straps so they could be used for any job.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the chains. they aren't that expensive and the DOT will leave you alone! :)

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chains? never used chains before, where would I pick up some of those? and why?

Chains are more for hauling vehicles and heavy equipment.....they wont break.....put a cheater bar on the chain binder and you can get them tighter than a ratchet strap....and they wont start fraying like straps. You could probably get some at harbor freight, lowes, or home depot. Something I learned from my dad....take the excess chain and throw it around the binder so it doesn't pop back.

Last edited:

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Good chains all have links marked with a letter or number to show the rated capacity of the chain. Some may have a tag by the hook end. Screw binders are better than the over center lever type but you pay more for them too. I use both straps and chains, just depends on what your haul'n.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Good chains all have links marked with a letter or number to show the rated capacity of the chain. Some may have a tag by the hook end. Screw binders are better than the over center lever type but you pay more for them too. I use both straps and chains, just depends on what your haul'n.

good point. I am hauling a 2500 pound mazda road car. I did see that the screw kind were a bit more but I thing it would work out better in my tiny trailer. :D

love this place. I keep on learning every time Im here.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iracemine, chains are best but be careful using them as these new unitized bodied vehicles can be warped by the strength of the chains. Heck even the frames of the superduty trucks can be damaged by the strength of the chains and binders. Go to a big truckstop and you may find good chains and binders but even better go to a parts house that supplies to the logging industry and you should find what you need. :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58