How to store my truck...getting deployed soon.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Well, guys,

Just got the word that I will be heading out for Jalalabad, Afghanistan this summer. So, naturally i have to figure out something with my truck. I can store it in the parking lot at my shop, but it will not be covered. I do have a cab light that is leaking, so that will have to be fixed before i go. I do have a buddy (who also owns an OBS PSD) that will go out and start it weekly and drive it a few miles to keep the parts movin. Iv'e also been told i could just set it up on jack stands and then i would just have a buddy start it weekly.

I'm open to all opinions here. Just wanna make sure everything is coshier when i get back in January.

Thanks guys!!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I like the jackstands idea best..
run most of the fuel out of it and maybe dump some algaecide in the tank; Change the fuel filter when you get back..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, guys,

Just got the word that I will be heading out for Jalalabad, Afghanistan this summer. So, naturally i have to figure out something with my truck. I can store it in the parking lot at my shop, but it will not be covered. I do have a cab light that is leaking, so that will have to be fixed before i go. I do have a buddy (who also owns an OBS PSD) that will go out and start it weekly and drive it a few miles to keep the parts movin. Iv'e also been told i could just set it up on jack stands and then i would just have a buddy start it weekly.

I'm open to all opinions here. Just wanna make sure everything is coshier when i get back in January.

Thanks guys!!

You've got time to work it out, so go slow.

Yer call Clint, but I wouldn't leave/store it in the parking lot. Good chance, even on the Base.. for thieves & vandals to do their business.

For your piece of mind.... the monthly rental fee for a covered, locked, secured access Storage Facility.. is worth EVERY Nickle. Not to mention the protection provided, against the Elements.. for your VERY NICE truck.

FWIW ? What I usta do ?

1. Fill the tank(s) to the TOP.. With.. a ratio dose of Sta-Bil.

2. Remove the battery's, store them in the bed, in a plastic pan.

3. Drain the filter bowl, remove the filter, fill it with ATF. (won't go sour)

4. Jack it up just high enough, to take the weight off of the suspension.

5. Deflate tire psi to 30 psi. Spare too.

6. Stuff an oily (not soaked) rag in the intake.

7. Same as #6, up the exhaust pipe(s).

8. Leave the windows down about a 1/8"

Yer good to go ;tu (I was, many times over) (9+ months, at times)

:dunno

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what Joe says, you should be able to rent a Storage Facility for $ 50 or $60 a mo.
and I think it would be worth it.
Doug

jeeps and fords

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had an old teacher who did the same but he also said that the military would pay him for storing his truck. Idk if you've looked into that but it's worth a try.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
You've got time to work it out, so go slow.

Yer call Clint, but I wouldn't leave/store it in the parking lot. Good chance, even on the Base.. for thieves & vandals to do their business.

For your piece of mind.... the monthly rental fee for a covered, locked, secured access Storage Facility.. is worth EVERY Nickle. Not to mention the protection provided, against the Elements.. for your VERY NICE truck.

FWIW ? What I usta do ?

1. Fill the tank(s) to the TOP.. With.. a ratio dose of Sta-Bil.

2. Remove the battery's, store them in the bed, in a plastic pan.

3. Drain the filter bowl, remove the filter, fill it with ATF. (won't go sour)

4. Jack it up just high enough, to take the weight off of the suspension.

5. Deflate tire psi to 30 psi. Spare too.

7. Same as #6, up the exhaust pipe(s).

8. Leave the windows down about a 1/8"

Yer good to go ;tu (I was, many times over) (9+ months, at times)

:dunno

Joe

Thanks for the tips joe. just have a question so i can understand it better.

what is the reasoning behind this if i still have my 6637 on?

and as for 9 months plus, just got notified that my training is now three months and starts in February. and my actual deployment is now 9 months. so i will be storing it for at least nine months. at least it will keep my miles low, well somewhat.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips joe. just have a question so i can understand it better.

what is the reasoning behind this if i still have my 6637 on?

and as for 9 months plus, just got notified that my training is now three months and starts in February. and my actual deployment is now 9 months. so i will be storing it for at least nine months. at least it will keep my miles low, well somewhat.

Makes for a moisture, dust and dirt barrier of sorts.. prevents moisture (corrosion/rust) from forming in & on internal engine parts & pieces.

Ever seen a crated, new, replacement engine ? Intakes & Exhausts are sealed off.. so I alwayz figured it was a good idea, during storage.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14