How unreliable are these 6.0's?

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 7000 miles on mine with no problems at all. My father bought almost the same truck as mine at the same time and he has had no problems. I would recommend the 06 6.0 to anyone.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
draftlover said:
I have an '05 CC Dually 1 ton with 4:10 gears. I've lost two injectors plus had to have two re-flashes and a couple of recalls done. The truck only has 16,000 miles and has left me stranded on the road twice. I get tops of 13.5 MPG empty and usually it runs in the 10.5 to 9.5 MPG range with combo Interstate and in-town driving. Usually gets 6-8 MPG towing. After all this, it has been running right for the last 2 months or so. I can't honestly say it's a piece of crap, because it is a nice truck. I have had reliability issues that I don't want to deal with, so I wouldn't recommend Ford. Ford should recall every 6.0, but they don't because it would put a serious hurt on an already under performing company. I haven't heard how the new redesigned Dodge's are doing, as far as overall quality, but I would reconsider leaving Dodge out of the loop. Duramax is up to 360 h.p. stock now, so maybe the bugs are gone there. Ford is dumping the 6.0L because it can't be fixed, it's design is just plain bad. No struggling company runs an engine for 5 years and then dumps R&D, design, and re-tooling money into a new one unless it doesn't work, i.e. the 6.0L Powerstroke or it's out of date, i.e the old Chevy 6.5L and arguably the 7.3 Powerstroke (both great engines, but lacked the power to compete with Dodge). Look how long the Cummins has hung around. Why... because it is a reliable, proven engine with no real design flaws. Wait until the foreign vehicle companies bring out the Diesel heavyweights...the American companies will have to step it up about 10 notches in the reliability, power, warranty and lower cost categories just to keep half of the market share. (Ha,Ha is what the big three thought when the first Toyota and Datsun/Nissan cars hit the lots in America...I bet their eating those words now. Lets hope they don't do it again with foreign trucks and actually try to compete BEFORE they have a foothold!!!):)

share w/ me how you think the 6.0L is a poor design ???
the dodge has been around because it COULD be around...there
was little if any competition for it...the 7.3 gave it SOME run for
the money (and gm has such a black eye from their old diesels
no one dare touch one...until it had some other label on it...like
ALLISON)

gmc has not been w/out issue, injectors, injection pumps trans
failures...and it took them MANY years to resolve (my brother
is STILL dealing w/ recalls on his)

gmc has had egr issues too....dodge will as well not that they
too are forced to implement/meet epa emissions....stand back
and watcht eh dodge boys whine....

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
mine is absolutley wonderful
we just finished a long road trip of over 1000 miles pulling out heavy fiver and she performed flawlessy,
pulled with cruise control most of the time. tranny upshifted and down shifted SMOOTH and with authority.
I was holding 70 plus up most hills and mountains passing other makes of trucks with similiar loads and i stayed in OD most times, 30 pounds at 1250 egts 2500 Rpm pulled like a freight train.

my only complaint is we dont hold enough fuel.
at 10 mpg we were stopping a bit more than i like for some #2 :D
oh and we just clicked over 17k miles on this 2006 boss

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
bushpilot said:
share w/ me how you think the 6.0L is a poor design ???....

IMO the fuel delivery system is junk. Two different injectors on the same engine. That tells me injector design flaw. I use good fuel and cetane booster to improve fuel quality.

bushpilot said:
the dodge has been around because it COULD be around...there
was little if any competition for it...the 7.3 gave it SOME run for
the money...
O.K. I'll give you the dodge truck itself on this one (i.e. not so good trannys) but not the cummins engine. It's a tried and true reliable power house that takes mods well. Not to mention I know many people who get 20 mpg plus with this motor. 20 mpg plus is not the exception, like the 6.0L, it's the average. One friend get 29 mpg highway modded.

bushpilot said:
(and gm has such a black eye from their old diesels
no one dare touch one...until it had some other label on it...like
ALLISON)...
Owned a 6.5L... it wasn't that powerful, but ran like a top. You probably could run the thing on kerosene if need be. Sure, I replaced glow-plugs once in 50,000 plus miles and Chevy put a new injector pump in at 100,000 on a recall...but by then it was a, $20,000 (5 years ago),5 year old, 2nd owner, been through a hail storm, heavily used truck. Not a brand new, less than 15,000 miles, fifty thousand dollar, one owner rig.

bushpilot said:
gmc has not been w/out issue, injectors, injection pumps trans
failures...and it took them MANY years to resolve (my brother
is STILL dealing w/ recalls on his)...

I had the same problems with the Ford sooooo.....Ford is as good as, or the same as GM. I expect more recalls and injector failures.

bushpilot said:
gmc has had egr issues too....dodge will as well not that they too are forced to implement/meet epa emissions....stand back
and watch eh dodge boys whine....

Agreed, once this emission thing has worked itself out I'd like to see who's on top.

Bottom line....I'm going bear hunting in Canada next year and don't trust my brand new truck enough to take it. WTF. I'm probably going to take it cause with my $750 payment, I can't really afford a second "Reliable Daily Driver" truck right now. Wait....I shouldn't have to with a brand new rig. I may have got a lemon, but with stock prices at $6.98 a share you can't afford to sell crap to a new Ford buyer that has 40 years or so worth of vehicles to buy. It's bad for business.:(

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:sweet Just over 40k miles on my 2004 PSD and still in love! I would buy another one in a heartbeat.. er, :doh: thats wrong! in a flash!

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Getting ready to roll 24k on my '06 and no probs. Good riding, good looking, and fun to drive. Not fun to fill up though :eek:

KingRancher

2004 F-250 King Ranch FX4
Reaction score
04' F-250 6.0 here, no probs except for a little sickness the other day but it is probably a suspect EGR valve, I have drove chevys my whole life and got my first PSD and I will never go back. My girl runs and drives like someone stole it :burnit I would try it like the above posters have said every truck has its probs and the dirty max has had a butt load of them. :oops: 48,000 miles and change

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jharvey said:
Getting ready to roll 24k on my '06 and no probs. Good riding, good looking, and fun to drive. Not fun to fill up though :eek:

Try fillin' up the X's 44 gallon tank from empty :eek: Gas station check-out girl handed me a mortgage application this morning when I went in to pay! :deal

rum4by5

Reaction score
04 F350 with nothing but standard recalls. It runs and rides good, just got to dump those damn skyjacker shocks when I get the money

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
haulin8or said:
Try fillin' up the X's 44 gallon tank from empty :eek: Gas station check-out girl handed me a mortgage application this morning when I went in to pay! :deal
That'll cost you 127.16 around these parts! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14