How would my truck do with stock size tires?

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this on my mind for a while. I was wondering how my truck would perform if I chose to go back to regular-ish size tires.

I have 38's now, with 4.56 gears, front/rear

I'm considering the tire change after this winter season. I didn't buy a big@$$ truck for nothin. hahaha.

I'd probably go with a medium A/T or something, I'm not trying to give up the off-road look, just considering less aggressive tires, and I'll keep the same rims (18" MT's). I just didn't want to do it without knowing how my truck would handle it.

What would be the changes in power? Performance? Economy? Towing ability?

Less strain on the trans = definite upside
I'm assuming my acceleration would be better?
Towing ability would go up?

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel economy would go down? I guess that makes sense. Low end torque seems like it would increase. Is that an accurate statement?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel economy would go down? I guess that makes sense. Low end torque seems like it would increase. Is that an accurate statement?

Probably be better for around town (lot of stop-and-go's) but I wouldn't think so for high highway speeds:dunno And maybe it would make more transmission heat at higher speeds. I have no idea how it would affect your shifts. Did you change any shifting points when you went to bigger tires?

I'm no expert on this....so will one please chime in

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the DP F5, but I couldn't tell ya if the shift points were changed. :dunno

How could I tell, if they were?

I really dont know. But a guess....if you didn't specify your tire size and/or gearing, then they probably programmed it for stock tire size. So if your gearing-to-tire size ratio is correct for STOCK....then the programming is right for your current set-up.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given the gearing I would not go less than a 35 to 37.

I can say that I want an extra gear on the top for my 33's with 4.10's I'm actually considering 35's when I replace my tires to help compensate for the gears when running highway speeds.

As rammertide mentioned highway mileage will suffer since you'll be spinning the engine faster

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any resources that tell you what RPM's your truck SHOULD be running at, according to tire size and gear ratio?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14