HP gains, but quiet muffler???

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been poking around a bit. Seems many guys are going straight pipes and whatnot on their diesels. Looks like just an aftermarket exhaust gives ya a good amount of HP/torque gain.

I have a Durango with the 6.9L engine in it with a very short glass pack on it. While it's noisy as hell, it does get to be a pain in the butt on long trips. My truck is definately quieter than my Durango, and that's what I like about it.

So. Is there an exhaust system that will yield good power without being noisy as hell in the cab?

Not too many guys around here that I know with hot-rodded diesels, so a ride in a cab of one won't happen soon.

Thanks,

Fine69

Reaction score
I don't know of any exhaust that will give you big gains in power. Most aftermarket exhaust mfgr.'s claim about 25 hp, but I wouldn't believe it. As far as quiet in cab, just about any turbo-back with a muffler, and cat will sound stock in the cab. My MBRP duals sound like a big block gasser outside, but in the cab with the windows shut, you can hardly hear a difference. Just a little more rumble, definitely would do it again.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Fine69 said:
I don't know of any exhaust that will give you big gains in power. Most aftermarket exhaust mfgr.'s claim about 25 hp, but I wouldn't believe it. As far as quiet in cab, just about any turbo-back with a muffler, and cat will sound stock in the cab. My MBRP duals sound like a big block gasser outside, but in the cab with the windows shut, you can hardly hear a difference. Just a little more rumble, definitely would do it again.
ditto, it sounds nasty as hell with the windows down and the pedal on the floor too

but windows up, easy pedal, it sounds a lot like stock, and outside it sounds like a HEMI in my opinion

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
The real hemi's or this new P.O.S. wunder motor? I owned one of the real one's years ago and I gotta tell ya, the new one ain't no hemi. Oh, its called that, and its a clever marketing ploy...but its an insult to the 392 Red Ram and the Elephant.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
actually it sounds more like the V8 that isn't a HEMI, have you heard them with an aftermarket exhaust? phew they sound good, well when you hit it hard in my truck thats what it sounds like from outside

for some odd reason it just doesnt sound that loud in the cab

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I can give an opinion.... about how your engine will sound....
more info is needed....

What engine, mods, year, & body type....

In most of the cars I've done, I went after a "strong" sound...
but in my Ex's I've gone for flow and/or egt reduction...

I verified the 25hp increase with just the turbo back exhaust on my 03....

on our 05, went with the walker BTM and it reduces the EGT's and gives better flow, but just the right sound as far as I am concerned...

good luck...

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that makes me feel better. I don't want the cab to experience any more noise than necessary.

I have an '03 crew cab single wheel.

I guessing that the 4" downpipe and full system will give me what I'm looking for as I'm only going to do some mild tunes to the engine. I'm pulling about 10k lbs so I don't want to start tearing things up on my truck.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I like quiet power and went with the Magnaflow 4" x 30" (36" overall) straight through and it does a great job. In the cab it is no different than stock. Not much different than stock from the outside either.
Jim

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
IS the 03 a 7.3 or 6.0 deezle ?
yeah that's a biggie right there

and if you're going for quiet in the cab, don't go straight all the way thru, keep ur cat on boy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14