HPOP Gauge options!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just when you thought you couldnt add any more guages to your truck.

With a little help from Scott at www.boyercustomtruck.com , we did some snooping and discovered that Autometer 0 to 100 PSI electric fuel pressure gauges can double as HPOP gauges.

The reason for this is, the sending unit that came with my cobalts has the same electrical plug as my ICP sensor (used by the computer to determine HPOP pressure and adjust IPR duty cycle).

So, to test my theory, Scott went out and plugged his autometer cobalt fuel pressure gauge into his ICP and would you believe it, it worked! At idle his truck read about 18psi on the gauge, and if he did a snap throttle, it would jump up to almost 80psi. At wide open load on the road, it would go to 70-75psi and hold steady (late model hpop on a 97 truck, so plenty of oil for him)

The math I did earlier in the day said it should have read about 13psi at idle and max out at about 60-70psi. I figured it was a "times 40" multiplier, so 10psi would be 400, and 60psi would be 2400.

He did have his real ICP wire disconnected so, his truck my have been in default mode for IPR and the readings we got are slightly off, but the base idea worked!

That gives me two more options.

1. Tap the signal wire on the factory ICP sensor and run it to the gauge. It will display what the computer is seeing. Cheap and easy.

2. Buy a second ICP sensor and screw it into the 5 other available ports in the heads (3 if you have an HX hose kit installed). Now you can run a 10k mod on the REAL ICP, but still get accurate pressure readings on the gauge in the cab.

The only catch is to get gauge faces made up that match the pressure readings. Something autometer should have no problems doing if there is enough demand.

DO NOT USE THE SUPPLIED SENSOR THAT COMES WITH THE GAUGE!!!!!

You have to use the ICP sensor. Its the only one I know of that is rated to handle the "up to" 4000psi in the heads. Its also calibrated internally to that high of a pressure. 2.95 volts on the autometer sending unit is only like 60psi, whereas its closer to 2000psi on the ICP sending unit.

The 0 to 100psi boost gauges seem to work also, as again, they have the same electrical plug, and use the same 0 to 5v signal voltage, so the gauge calibration is already there, its just a matter of getting the needle markings to match the real pressure numbers, instead of having to do math in your head.

Im kinda suprised no one has tried this yet, its so easy in hindsight, but then, most things are.

Last edited:

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a great find. Do you have access to AutoEngenuity to test the oil pressure to compare it to your readings? To solidify what your multiplier is. Not questioning your knowledge, just something to back up your findings. You should go into the business, or patent the idea at least!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have an AE, but I only know the readings for my truck, not Scotts. Plus, with the ICP disconnected to plug in the gauge, the truck goes into a "default" mode and makes up its own IPR values that are probably higher than normal.

My next test is to bridge onto the ICP wire so that I can leave the computer plugged in, but still sample the signal and send it to the gauge. Then I can run the gauge, and my AE side by side and compare.

But, regardless of if my "multiplier" is right or not, the base fact is, the gauge can do it, just need the right overlay!

As for patenting or marketing, thats not what I do. I figure it out, and let others take it from there. I've been doing that for years on here (IDM mod anyone?).

Speaking of IDMs, I did 8 of them in one sitting at a recent NWFD event. Every truck drove home and happy.

Michael

Gauge Guy
Reaction score
Daryl,
I posted on a similar thread on another forum as well. We will have HPOP gauges as part of our new line which will start production early next year. We are also looking at offering a gauge which uses the stock ICP sensor in the interim (based on our existing EV series). I was holding off on the existing line's version since I wanted to make sure we get the new line done on time, but we can probably still squeeze in some time on the "new old" design. One thing to watch for is the input impedance of any gauge you hook up in parallel with the ECM on the ICP sensor. If the input impedance of the gauge is high enough then it shouldn't disturb the signal into the ECM.

Thanks and regards,
Michael Pliska

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
saw your post.

One thing to consider tho, if they have any 10k style mods, to include edge ez, banks 6-gun, edge juice, SP diesel, or any other power adder that plugs into the ICP circuit, your going to get false readings on the gauge if you use the factory ICP.

You will need to install a second ICP in order to get true readings to the gauge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58