HPOP is leaking bad

waltec

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello all , new to forum. I have a 2002 550 and it had no signs of leakage,then driveing home and noticed large amount of oil leaking from truck.Located the leak to the HPOP and did some research and found out there is a TSB for faulty O rings on HPOP.The problem with mine is the leak is coming from the lower right hand bolt and it says not to remove or attempt to repair leak.The only part there is a small O ring,can this be repaired or does the HPOP need to be replaced. Thank you.:( :(

jturbodiesel

X PREZ
Reaction score
Hello all , new to forum. I have a 2002 550 and it had no signs of leakage,then driveing home and noticed large amount of oil leaking from truck.Located the leak to the HPOP and did some research and found out there is a TSB for faulty O rings on HPOP.The problem with mine is the leak is coming from the lower right hand bolt and it says not to remove or attempt to repair leak.The only part there is a small O ring,can this be repaired or does the HPOP need to be replaced. Thank you.:( :(
you can buy a new o-ring kit,comes with a little tube of locktight. what happens is the bolts loosen up and destroy the little o-rings, hence the tube of locktight. had to do both my trucks.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does the O ring kit come with 3 or 4 O rings.

okay to answer your question no the o-ring kit you are talking about is not for the plug that is leaking on your truck. IF it is the little plug all by its lonesome on the driver side bottom of the pump close to the front cover it is not serviceable. BUT that is through ford,I would check with your local IH dealer to see if the offer a kit,I know they do for the dt466 But ford does not.

waltec

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That is the bolt you are talking about and I will call international dealer to find out if kit is available,but if it is not does that mean new HPOP?:

h2guy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I need to understand this.

Theres a leak around a bolt/screw that has an o-ring? Why is there an o-ring there? Usually because sometimes the bolt/screw must be removed and the o-ring is req'd to seal it back up, right?

So it does come out, right? And o-rings are o-rings, so why can't a replacement o-ring just be bought and installed??

I'm not being facetious just really would like to know for my own use someday.

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I need to understand this.

Theres a leak around a bolt/screw that has an o-ring? Why is there an o-ring there? Usually because sometimes the bolt/screw must be removed and the o-ring is req'd to seal it back up, right?

So it does come out, right? And o-rings are o-rings, so why can't a replacement o-ring just be bought and installed??

I'm not being facetious just really would like to know for my own use someday.

I have pondered that myself But from ford it is not serviceable(If it were mine I would find a high quality O-ring to replace it). Problem is the pump must be removed to access it. I have replaced many of pumps for this and believe me I hate to look a customer in the face and explain it as such but its the way it is when you work at a dealership.

Punisher

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just had a similar leak on the "non-serviceable plug" on the HPOP. Ford has a kit but it comes with only 3 of the large O rings. None of which are for the small plug.
Went to International and they had a repair kit for a HPOP for a 6 cylinder. But, it had the correct O ring in it. Otherwise, it's a $2.00 O ring from McMaster Carr.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg