HPOP O-ring blew

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a very crappy weekend to say the least. Our son goes to college in Tallahassee which is 2.5 hours away, one-way. His POS Pontiac has been giving us trouble so I've been traveling back and forth for the last few weeks working on it. I went to leave Monday morning around 0500 and noticed a small puddle of what I thought was fuel laying under the truck while it was at high idle as I loaded up tools, etc. I got a half hour away from the house to Dothan and the truck started running rough. When I pushed the clutch in for a light it died. I man-handled it off of the highway and it started up but ran rough. I turned it off and popped the hood. Oil was everywhere. I couldn't even tell where it was coming from it was so bad. Needless to say I couldn't continue my trip so now I have a stranded college student 2.5 hours away and a dead truck half an hour away from home at 0530 in the AM. Got a towing company number and the truck showed up a half hour later. $216 later I'm back home at my local diesel shop (not a dealer). Mechanic says he bets it's an o-ring on the HPOP, they have a history of blowing. After some cleaning and some new oil it fires up and no leak. Sure enough, a lousy fifty cent o-ring cost me a big towing fee, a wasted day, and a still stranded kid. But it gets better- I just had a new Ram clutch put in less than a year ago. Needless to say the clutch is shot it is so oil soaked. So now the tranny has to come out and a new clutch put in. I ordered a Zoom ZVT Variable Torque Ceramic clutch kit and I'm having the flywheel turned. He said there is hole at the rear of the motor that allows even a small upper engine oil leak to drip down the valley to the rear of the motor and thru the hole into the bellhousing area and then onto the clutch. I didn't have time to ask him exactly which o-ring blew but I will find out when I drop off the clutch tomorrow. My entire truck- top, bottom, sides, rear end, engine, tranny- is covered in $20 a gallon synthetic oil. Maybe things will being loosened up now so when I put my Wicked Wheel on things will come apart easier. What an expensive weekend.....

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hawk I feel your pain. Last year I loaned my truck to some students to visit a campus (where I work now) and after driving up they found a similar leakage event. $1.1k later, I had a new front oil pump...which I didn't know I had...then a few months later the dealer went to change the HPOP oil rings and one of the lines "came out in his hand" i.e. the threads were stripped...and then the turbo went south in November.

I don't want to add it all up!!

But hey, when it is running as it is now, it sure is great! Love my new wicked wheel too!!

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow sounds like a busy weekend. Sure things will turn around for ya now. Atleast hope they do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58