hpop pump and age?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can a hpop pump get weak? if so how?If its mechanical wouldn't it pump the same amount of pressure old as it did new? How would a mechanical pump get weak? can it?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, it can become weak. It is a mechanical pump and the parts wear down, causing excessive looseness in the pump. Only cure is to replace it with a rebuild pump or a new pump. The pressure will drop, until it no longer develops the necessary pressure to start the truck or keep it running (500 psi at cranking speed).

Dave

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, I have a lot of miles on this truck, and have to me anyway, excessive injector noise? Maybe the hx line will help, its cheap.
The truck starts rasonably fast in the morning. No oil consumption. To me it sounds funny. I have owned several of these. The injectors are noisier than usual?I was thinking maybe not enough oil pressure to pop them well enough at all times?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you injector noise may be as simple as USLD fuel..
try adding a quart of TCW-3 two-stroke oil per tank of fuel and see what happens..

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been. I also get lsd at my local horns truck stop. The pumps for big rigs have both. I pull in there to get filled up. I am gonna seee what the hx line does and from there maybe find someone local with AE to see what the motor is doing. I want to to a few tests, contribution and check hpop pressures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58